Chapter three

The next morning, I woke up in a daze. I was always an early riser, so the sunrise greeted me with a rustic orange sky when I turned to look out the half open window, and rays of light slipped into the room, dancing alongside the shadows.

I panicked at first, not realizing where I was before my erratic heartbeat calmed down and I adjusted to the unfamiliar surroundings.

Dollie let out a low breath beside me, I turned to see she was still very much asleep

I grabbed my shoes by the edge of the bed, slipping them on as I pattered downstairs, trying my best to stop the floor from squeaking beneath me. I wasn't sure if anyone was awake yet, as I checked the time on my phone, it was just past 8 o clock, Saturday morning. My granny would probably still be asleep.

I sent her a quick message incase I didn't manage to make it home by the time she wakes up.

'Gone our for breakfast with Sadie, be back around noon. :) '

I felt a pang of guilt, lying to her like that. But I weighed my options and decided it was the lesser of the evils. I didn't want her to needlessly worry. I had made it through the night without any major events.

When I got down to the kitchen, Oscar was sitting at the table, a bowl of dry cornflakes on front of him.

"Morning." I grinned, as he watched me carefully, pushing his dry cereal back and forth.  He didn't reply and my grin stretched wider.

"Not much of a talker in the mornings?" He wasn't much of a talker at any time, to begin with.

Still I didn't give up on the conversation as I motioned to his cereal. "No milk?"

He didn't follow my gaze. His expression stayed cool and calculating, before he finally replied in a low murmur.

"Lactose intolerant."

Progress!

"What about soya milk?"

He gave me a look of distaste. "I'd rather drink diesel."

I raised an eyebrow. "You've weird hobbies."

He gritted his teeth. "I don't mean I drink diesel as a -"

I held up my hand. "It's okay. No need to explain, I don't judge your weird tastes."

He gave me a look of exasperation. "I don't go around drinking diesel on a regular basis."

"Really, what else fuels your excessive overly friendly demeanor?"

He shot me another deadpan look.

"There we go again, I don't know you have so much radiant energy!"

He stood, taking his half full bowl to the sink before walking to his back door, sliding it open and then a huge golden Labrador paddles in.

"Who's this?" I mused, as he curled around Oscar, nuzzling against his hand for attention.

"His names junior."

He looked down at the ground, his eyes taking a softer look that I hadn't seen before. Since I first encountered Oscar, he always seemed closed off, distant and a bit aloof. Yet that completed changed in the presence of the older dog, his cold brown eyes turned warmer and softer. He didn't seem as unapproachable.

"Don't frighten him, he's not that good around new people." He warned, as the dog began to look me up and down, almost shying away.

I didn't question it, but was thankful when he explained.