Thirty Six

It's 4 o'clock in the morning, I'm on a night shift and I'm feeling extra generous...

Nick

Liked by ddlovato, joejonas and 942,719 othersnickjonas Happy Birthday @ddlovato 🎂I don't think we ever thought we would be where we are today! I couldn't be any prouder of the woman you've become and I couldn't ask for a better mother to my chil...

nickjonas Happy Birthday @ddlovato 🎂
I don't think we ever thought we would be where we are today! I couldn't be any prouder of the woman you've become and I couldn't ask for a better mother to my child 👶🏻❤️
View all 7,103 comments
ddlovato bff❤️

I smiled as I posted the major throwback to Instagram. I have honestly never been so proud of how far someone has come before. Demi has been through so much shit, but she's always come out on the other side so much stronger. She is a warrior and I'm so glad I know her.

I slipped my arms through the sleeves of my shirt and fastened the buttons as I wrapped it around my body. I glanced down at my phone as it vibrated.

Joe: We all set bro?

Me: We're all set!

I leant to grab my jacket off the chair beside the vanity and pulled it on. I shoved my phone into my pocket and turned to grab the gift bag that sat on my bed. I then turned to leave my room, leaving my apartment all together and climbing into my car. I shoved the key into the ignition and pulled from the parking lot, making my way towards the hills. The radio was playing quietly and I couldn't wipe the smile from my face all the way to Demi's house. I could feel the butterflies beginning to flutter around in my stomach as I punched the code into Demi's front gate. I brought my car to a halt and stepped out, shoving the keys into my pocket and grabbing the gift bag before wondering towards her front door. I rang the doorbell, my smile widened as Batman and Ella's barks filled the silence. I glanced around outside, only looking back as the door opened to reveal Demi who was wearing sweats and an oversized t-shirt which didn't look so large due to her perfect bump that still amazes me.

"Nick? What are you doing here, I thought you had plans?" I shook my head as I smirked, holding the gift bag towards her.

"Nope, I lied. We have plans" her eyebrows scrunched together. "Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm not planning to kill you or anything" she rolled her eyes and shook her head as I lightly chuckled. "Take the bag" she hesitantly took the gift bag and held it in her hands as she stepped back into the house, giving me enough room to step in.

"Can I open this now?" her eyes sparkled as she stared down at the present.

"No, you have to wait till next year" I chuckled as I received a glare. "You can open the present, Dems" she shoved me lightly on the chest. I followed behind her and into the living room, smiling slightly as she tried not to wobble. I can see that being pregnant is starting to take its toll on her. "You okay?" she glanced back at me and nodded as she slowly lowered herself down onto the couch.

"I'm just a bit bummed that my family aren't here, you know?" I nodded as I leant to press a kiss to the top of her head.

"Are you seeing them next week?"

"Yeah, but it isn't my birthday next week is it?" I sent her a sympathetic smile as she glanced up at me. "Did you know that Kelsey and that lot were getting me a necklace?" I glanced down at her with an innocent smile as I nodded.

"I may have had an inkling" she rolled her eyes, chuckling as she turned her attention to the gift bag. "You gonna open that?" she rolled her eyes before slowly opening the gift bag and pulling out the little velvet box inside. She looked up at me, her eyes curious but I didn't give her a reply. She opened the box and pulled out the ring inside.

"Nick, this is so cute" I smiled as she looked up at me with a smile

"Nick, this is so cute" I smiled as she looked up at me with a smile. "It's a shame I can't wear rings, but I will so be wearing this when he's here" she lifted her arms and I leant to wrap my arms around her. "Thank you so much" I pressed a kiss to the side of her head as I pulled away from the hug.

"You're welcome, Dems" she chewed down on her lip as she glanced back down at the ring.

-

"Where are we going?" I chuckled at her impatience.

"Like I've said the previous couple of times, I'm not telling you" she rolled her eyes and turned her attention out the car window as I continued down the street.

"You don't play fair" I chuckled, shaking my head as I moved my eyes back to the road. "I'm the mother of your son, would you really lie to me?" my mouth tugged into a smirk as I kept my eyes on the road, only receiving a groan from Demi. I continued down the street, the radio quietly playing through the car. "How long is this gonna take?" one thing I know about Demi, she absolutely hates surprises.

"Around 20 minutes" the silence hung around us until I pulled into an empty parking lot.

"Nick, where are we?" I glanced to Demi, her eyes on the building that stood tall in front of us. We are honestly in the middle of nowhere. "It looks like there's nobody else here, it looks abandoned" I chuckled as I pulled the keys from the ignition and opened the driver's door, glancing down at Demi as she wrapped her hand around my arm. "Are we safe?" the worry in her eyes caused my heart to flutter. I lowered my hand on top of hers and sent her a small and reassuring smile.

"We are perfectly safe, I promise. Now, get out the car" she rolled her eyes as I climbed from the car, walking around to the passenger side so I could help Demi out. I kept a hold of her hand as I gently pulled her towards the building. Our steps were slow, one because it was becoming more difficult for Demi to walk and two because I can tell that she's a little hesitant. I pushed open the doors to reveal nothing but darkness. "You can go in first" her eyes glanced up to meet mine, her dark brown eyes that were filled with fear.

"But it's dark. Nick, what the fucks going on?"

"Just go in" she sighed and rolled her eyes before slowly stepping into the building, my mouth tugged into a wide and excited smile.

——