Thirty Four

Nick

"You still moving around in there, Buddy?" I'd just finished singing 'You are my Sunshine'. Demi fell asleep before I was even halfway through 'Avalanche'. "I'm surprised mommy can sleep with you moving around so much" I kept my hand on Demi's belly, able to feel our son every so often pushing against my hand. "I think your mommy is one of the most beautiful women in the world, she has one of the most amazing voices too. I'm sure she'll sing you to sleep when you're here" the smile on my face widened as he pushed against my hand as if agreeing to that. "I love you and your mommy so much. I know I might not always be here, but I will always love you, Bud" I lightly caressed Demi's bump, freezing my action slightly as she stirred, but thankfully, she remained asleep. "Maybe we should get you and mommy somewhere a little more comfortable" I slid off the couch and crouched by Demi, stroking a strand of hair gently behind her ear. I gently wrapped my arms around her, cradling her against my chest.

"Nick?"

"Go back to sleep, D. I'm going to take you upstairs. Get you and squid a little more comfortable" I pressed a kiss to her forehead as I began out the living room and towards the stairs, Batman and Ella following behind me. I took the stairs, one step at a time, trying not to trip as I held my world in my arms. Thankfully, her bedroom door was already open, so I stepped into her room and gently lowered her down onto her double bed that Batman and Ella jumped on to, running around in circles before dropping down on the bed. I pulled her sheet over her and leant to press a kiss to her forehead. "Have a nice nap, D" I stroked my fingers through her hair before glancing to look at her stomach. "Try not to wake momma, Buddy" I smiled at the sight before I turned to leave the room, shutting the door quietly behind me.

-

"Nick?" I turned with a smile as Demi stepped into the kitchen, running her fingers through her hair. Batman and Ella darted into the kitchen behind her and headed straight to their water bowls.

"Hey, did you have a nice nap?" she nodded, sending me a small smile as she lowered herself down onto a stool at the counter. "You want some water?" she nodded again.

"All he seems to be doing today is moving around. I think it's taking him a while to get comfortable" I slid the glass of water towards her with a smile.

"Rooms only gonna get tighter in there, Buddy."

"I don't want to get any bigger" a sympathetic smile formed on my face as she sighed. "I'm only gonna get bigger. I'm only gonna put on more weight. I'm only gonna grow more uncomfortable. I don't think I realised how hard this was actually going to be on me" I felt my heart tug as Demi's teary eyes locked with mine. "Nick, I worked so hard to get happy with my weight and it's all just changing so quickly" I stepped around the counter and headed to her, my arms wrapping around her. She sighed as she leant into me, her fingers tracing along the 'Mercy' tattoo on my forearm.

"You'll get to that place again, Dems" I pressed a kiss to the top of her head, leaving my lips there for longer than necessary. "You've just got to remember that our baby's growing in here. Our handsome little baby boy who is going to have curls just like his daddy and hopefully a smile as bright as his mommy's" I found my smile growing as Demi released a giggle. "You have an amazing figure, Demi. A figure that a lot of women crave" Demi's arm gently slid around my waist, keeping us pressed together.

"You always know what to say" I chuckled, smiling as I tightened my grip around her. Nothing has ever felt more like home than having Demi cuddled into my chest.

——