Chapter 53: His Highness Pretends

Looking at how everybody flung their gazes over, Eunuch Sun only felt like thorns were stabbing at his back. This Minister Jing could’ve mentioned the consort selection at any other time, yet he insisted on mentioning it at this moment!

If you keep talking, maybe Third Prince really would misunderstand that he was receiving bribes from people behind his back!

When he thought of this possibility, Eunuch Sun immediately turned to Baili Jia Jue’s direction and looked over, as he ardently used his gaze to express his intent. Your Highness, you
absolutely must believe in me! I really am completely devoted to you, no second thoughts and will even accompany you until death! I’ve never received any minister’s……..cough, cough, even though I did receive some benefits once in awhile, but I also wouldn’t do it in your presence!

Baili Jia Jue only attended to himself drinking tea, and absolutely did not look at Eunuch Sun while casually playing with the porcelain white teacup with his fingertips, as if he understood the general idea.

Eunuch Sun turned around, almost reduced to tears! Boo hoo hoo, he was just given the cold shoulder by His Highness!

Standing next to him, Minister Jing, didn’t understand and furrowed his brows. What’s up with Eunuch Sun today? Ever since they entered the cafeteria, he’s been acting really strange……

Having missed the chance to attack, Helian Wei Wei just simply took the bamboo chopsticks that she was going to use and slowly put them back down. She wasn’t so stupid as to want to make a move in front of Minister Jing. Before entering the academy, the academy president had already stated very clearly. They might make trouble. But they’d better not get caught.

This Minister Jing ordinarily already looked down on students like them from the Inferior Compound, looking down at everyone in disdain.

It’s rare to see him with an affable attitude like today’s. This also makes it all the more clear that the old eunuch following by his side was not simple.

Wei Wei fiddled with the bamboo chopsticks in her hand. Actually, she’d already analyzed everything clearly.

Minister Jing was laughing on this side as he turned towards Helian Jiao Er and pointed with his hand while saying, “Hurry over to greet Eunuch Sun.”

Helian Jiao Er was quite proficient at making connections like this and promptly walked over with footsteps that swayed as delicately as a lotus flower, lightly smiled, and was going to open her mouth.

Eunuch Sun immediately exclaimed, “My goodness, Miss Jiao Er, you shouldn’t be like this. It just overwhelms me. In the matter of His Highness choosing a consort, how can those of us who are servants say anything.”

While he spoke on this side, he averted his gaze and turned towards Baili Jia Jue’s direction again and again to take a look at him.

Baili Jia Jue was just as before and didn’t look back at him. However, he finally changed posture and lazily leaned backwards a bit against the wooded table top.

Eunuch Sun’s heart jumped and couldn’t relax, totally wishing that he could kneel in front of his master at this instant and wrap himself around His Highness’ thigh as he wailed his heart out!

When it’s all said and done, he’s but an eunuch who had groped and crawled and rolled about within the palace for many years. He’s reached the highest level of proficiency in how to weigh somebody’s words and observe their expression. So he knew that if he walked over right now and revealed His Highness’ identity, he would die an even more miserable death compared to now!

Therefore, Eunuch Sun could only brace himself while he continued to deal with the
old one and a young one in front of him.

Helian Jiao Er wouldn’t believe that sort of excuse from him. A long time ago, she’d heard Grandfather say that in fact, these eunuchs within the palace truly did come from lowly backgrounds. However, they also couldn’t be looked down upon, especially this Eunuch Sun in front of her. A lot of the time, his words represented the opinions of the one from above. Clinging to him was the same as directly clinging to that Highness. That’s why she had to maintain a smiling and welcoming face. If not, how would an eunuch who couldn’t help her rise in power deserve this kind of treatment.