Seventy Five

Scott had only barely walked into the room, before Mitch shoved a paper in his hands. 

Mitch didn't hesitate. "Read this."

Scott obeyed, although he had no idea why. 

Avi followed them inside, closing the front door behind himself. 

He only briefly glanced at Alex, but was too afraid to look any longer. 

Scott looked up after he read the paper, meeting Mitch's eyes. "Why am I looking at English homework?"

"I just need a second opinion."

Scott's shoulders sagged a little. "Honey.. I'm by far the least intelligent person in this room."

Mitch rolled his eyes. "Oh please. Just read it."

Scott nodded once. "I did. Mitchie, I can't possibly criticize this. It's really really good."

Mitch took the paper back, holding it in front of himself to scan with his eyes one more time. "You think?"

Scott nodded, leaning forward a little to kiss Mitch's forehead. "Of course, baby." 

Alex was the one to stand up and meet Avi's eyes, giving him a nod in the direction of the living room. 

Avi understood, and followed Alex into the other room. 

Alex didn't sit down, but he did take his time to put the words together in his head before he spoke. "So... I want to talk about this, because I can't concentrate on anything knowing we're in bad terms."

Avi nodded once, gesturing to the couch. "Should we sit, or..?"

"If you wanna sit, go ahead. But I think.. I need to stand so I can pace if I need to."

Avi reached out slowly, cautiously, to grab Alex's hand. "Come on, babe." He began gently. "Let's sit, okay? I don't want you to freak yourself out and make it harder than it needs to be."

Alex stared at their hands for a second. "Okay."

He allowed Avi to pull him toward the couch, and then to sit. Alex spoke before he was even comfortable. "I just don't want our relationship to be ruined because our personalities aren't working anymore."

"Al--"

"Or maybe we're just not supposed to be together anymore. Maybe--"

"Alex, what are you doing? Are you being serious or are you just tossing out worst case scenarios?"

Alex kept staring at their hands, too afraid to meet Avi's eyes. "I don't know. I just... I don't want to have to walk away from you. But... I don't want that to blind me, y'know?"

Kirstie finally walked in the door, Kyle directly behind her as always. 

Avi glanced toward the door to acknowledge her, and then turned back to Alex. "Well... I don't want it to blind you either. But... All that I ask is you give me a chance. I think... Our problem, is due to a flaw in my personality."

Alex's eyebrows immediately came together. "Aw, Avi, don't say--"

"Babe, let me finish." He interrupted as gently as he could. "Don't defend me, okay? I really think it's something that I can change, and... I think it will help with our issues. So just give me some time?"

*

Kyle and Kirstie were out on the couch watching a movie together, with Avi and Alex a few feet away.

Avi kept glancing at Alex, because he could swear Alex was staring at him. 

Avi gently bumped Alex's knee with his hand. "Everything okay?"