One

"911, what is your emergency?"

Kirstie swallowed roughly, hands shaking as she tried to keep the phone against her ear. "C-car accident."

"Where is the car accident, Ma'am?"

Kirstie tried to look out the window, but cringed at the pain she felt in her body. "I-I-I don't know. I can't see outside... Near the hospital for sure."

"What's your name, Ma'am? Are you injured?"

"Kirstie... And... I think so."

"I'm sending help, Kirstie, based on your approximate location. I need you to stay on the line with me, okay? How many people were involved?"

She glanced around the car, shaking her head slowly. "My friends... Oh God, oh my God--"

*

Avi was the first to wake up, eyes opening slowly. "What the--?"

"Oh good, you're awake. Let me get the doctor--"

"Where's Scott? And Alex? And--?"

"Sir, your friends are in other rooms. Let me get the doctor." The male nurse scampered out before having to answer any more questions.

Avi rolled his eyes and looked around the room. "Stupid." He glanced down at himself, lifting the blanket just to check, but there didn't seem to be anything wrong.

The doctor rushed in. "Avriel, thank goodness. How are you feeling?"

"Fine. Confused though... Where's--?"

"Don't worry about your friends for right now, okay? How do the stitches feel?"

"How do--? What?"

The doctor walked over, and gestured to Avi's upper arm. "Glass from the window. Cut you pretty good, but it won't take long to heal."

"Can I see them?"

"The stitches?"

"My friends. You don't understand, Doc. I'm responsible for that stupid kid. I need to make sure he's okay."

He shook his head. "You need to rest, Avriel. You had an open wound that we needed to take care of to avoid infection and--"

"Stop calling me that. What I need is to see that he's alive."

*

In the room over, Kirstie was sitting in a chair beside the bed Alex was laying in, as Alex suddenly blinked himself awake.

She jumped up to call for a nurse, and then grabbed Alex's hand. "Thank God... How are you? What do you remember?"

"I... I remember the crash. I remember... It hit Scott's side the hardest..." He met her eyes. "Is Scott okay?"

She gave him a sympathetic look. "He's in surgery now..."

"What? For what?"

"I don't know... They're not telling me anything."

"Where's Avi? Where's... Where's Mitchie?"

"Kevin's with Mitch, calling everyone's parents. And I think I heard a nurse say that Avi woke up a few minutes ago."

The nurse finally walked in, clipboard in hand. "Hello, Mr. Kirk! Wonderful to see you. How's everything feeling?"

"Fine, I guess... My arms are kinda sore, but..."

"Ah, yes. That's normal. I believe the doctor just wants to run a few tests and then you should be free to go. Unless there's anything you'd like to ask me about?"