Eighty Two

They'd started the day with a small café that Avi insisted on going to. 

Scott didn't get any food, but he got a massive coffee and had never looked so happy.

Mitch tried to offer some of the bagel that he'd gotten, but Scott was too excited about overdosing on caffeine to even consider it.

Alex was entirely content with the bowl of fruit he was eating, as he continued to eat while grinning at Avi across the table. 

Avi kept glancing up at him, until he'd finished his food and set his fork down, only to continue staring across the table. 

Alex continued grinning, eating incredibly slowly to enjoy all of it. 

Without thinking at all, Avi softly spoke, with all the sincerity in the world. "I love you."

Alex froze, looking up at him with a smile. "Is that so?"

Avi just kept smiling at him, reaching out for Alex's face, to run his fingertips lightly-- Only to change his mind and let his hand awkwardly grab the back of his own neck.

Alex giggled at him, reaching his own hand out toward Avi. "Why'd you do that?"

"Sorry, I-- I didn't wanna ruin the moment, but did it anyway." Avi held his hand, only for Alex to place Avi's hand on his face, as Avi had originally intended. 

Avi just exhaled, honestly forgetting that Scott was sitting directly beside him. "I love you so much."

Mitch heard him that time, and quickly grabbed Scott's forearm with a smile. "Come with me to pay the bill."

Scott hopped up quickly to do so, letting himself be pulled along by Mitch. 

Alex glanced at them, but Avi hardly noticed. 

Avi continued to stare at Alex intently, gently running his fingertips along his cheek. "Sorry." He breathed out. 

Alex put his hand on top of Avi's to hold it there, giving the other man a smile. "Why?"

Avi had to work to pull his hand away from Alex, but he looked away quickly. "Sorry, uh.. I'm havin' a weird moment over here."

"Oh, suddenly it's weird for you to love me?" Alex asked with a smirk. 

"No, not that, I just-- Usually I don't get all.. Y'know?"

"Yeah. I know." Alex responded quietly. "But you could if you wanted to... Just so you know."

"I know." Avi cleared his throat and stood up. "I'm gonna run to the bathroom, finish eating, okay?"

Alex reached out for him, his eyebrows pinched in concern. "Wait.. Av?"

Avi pulled his hand away, trying to give a smile. "No, it's no sweat. We can talk about it later."

Avi scurried away, just as Scott and Mitch sat back down. 

Mitch gave Alex a smile. "Hey, babe. What was that all about?"

Alex just shrugged. "He's figuring himself out I think."

Scott nodded quickly. "Yeah, he does that. Don't let it upset you, okay?"

Alex just sighed, looking away. "I just wish he'd talk to me."

Scott leaned forward a little to catch his eye. "Hey.. Coming from his best friend? Let me please remind you that he doesn't know what it's like to love somebody, or to be loved in return."

"But he does know what it's like to communicate his feelings, no?"

Scott only scoffed at him, smirking nonetheless. "Does that really sound like Avi to you?"