Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“That will be 23.67 $.” The woman at the cash says to me. I hand her three 10$ bills and then I grab the change. I smile widely as she gives me the dozen of beautiful pink roses. I run back to the car where Felix, Lily, Julie, Max and Matt are waiting. Yes, the car is full. But guess who gets to ride shotgun? Me! I laugh as I see Matt and Max elbowing themselves in the back.

“Guys stop it!” Lily yells out. Then she turns to me a I open the passenger door. “So why do we flowers?” She asks me in confusion.

I grin. “This is something me and my mom used to do years ago. I miss it, and I thought you guys might enjoy it too.”

“So what do we do with the roses?” Max asks, interrupting me.

I give him a frustrated look. “Now think of someone special. It can be someone who made an impact on your life, or someone you simply think it would make them happy. It can be a complete stranger, or your best friend, the only thing I want is to make people feel special. Now, we're all going to give two roses each and brighten some people's day. But really, it can mean anything, make it personal and make it come from the heart.” With that, I let them think. I already knew, so I just waited and decided where they wanted to be dropped off to. After a moment, Lily speaks up.

“Drop me off here.” She says to Felix. He stops on the side of the road and we all look at Lily as she walks towards the hospital and the health center for the elderly, with her two roses.

When we're on the road again, Matt gives Felix directions to where he wants to stop. After dropping him off, as well as Max and Julie, Me and Felix head over to the adoption center. As the building comes in view, excitement and nervousness fills my body and my knees begins to shake.

I look at Felix, my eyes wide. “I can’t do this.”

“Of course you can.” He chuckles lowly.

I shake my head and glare at him for laughing. “N-no!”

He crosses his arms. “And why not?” He looks over at me as the car stops, an eyebrow raised.

I look out to the large building in front of us. “It brings back too many memories.” I tell him quietly after a moment. He doesn't reply so I continue. “All of this,” I gesture out surroundings. “the roses and the adoption center, it's a lot to take in.” I answer him, my voice slightly shaking.

He takes me by the chin and turns my head towards him. “You can and need to face it Alex. It’s the only way to accept your past. You don’t want other people to feel like there’s no hope in life just like you did right? Well help them.” He tells me fiercely

“I know, I'm just nervous that's all.” I nod and take a deep breath. “Let’s go.” I open my door, grab my roses and walk towards the building with determination not even looking back to see if Felix is following.

I push open the door of the adoption center and I walk to the administration. A young woman is seated behind the desk.

“Hello! How may I help you today?” She asks me kindly. She's better than the crappy old lady we had when I was in a center like this one. A small smile creeps on my lips.

“Do you think it would be possible for us to meet some of the kids?” I ask, crossing my fingers behind my back.

She raises her eyes from the papers in front of her and looks at me curiously. “Do you have a particular reason for that?”

I nod a little and smile. “Well I resided in a center like this for years and just got adopted a couple months ago, so I just wished to come and help some of the kids here. I know how they feel.” I answer her truthfully, hoping she doesn't kick us out.