Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Alexis, you can come in now," Lynda says while looking at me with a disapproving look. "Can you at least fix your hair a little?"

I roll my eyes but do as she asked. Even if I act as if I don't care, we both know it isn't true. Yes, I have mastered an almost perfect acting skill but Lynda can see through it most of the time. Honestly, I think I like it that way; it makes me feel better. Not completely crazy. But I won't be telling her that. It has me thinking that someone actually kind of cared in my life.

But honestly, I couldn't care less about how I look right now. I mean, who would? It's just another family who wants to meet me.

Yeah, I know, I am pretty old to be adopted - I'm 16. I was abandoned by my real mother when I was 7 years old. I was actually quite glad; she has been abusing me for a couple of years and it was terrifying. I thought my life was going to get better when I got adopted, that I would find happiness and enjoy life. But I was wrong, dead wrong.

After that, I was transferred from family to family, and no one loved me. No one cared about me, and they all told me lies. Being me, I believed them at the time; I wasn't experienced. It was hard being rejected, but I got used to it. Now it's just depressing to know that I'm never going to be happy anymore; just unloved and disapproved of, like every other time.

I quickly learned to never get attached to anyone in life. It's like a goal, but it makes life incredibly hard.

And now it gets even harder for me to get a family interested, I'm getting older every day. At least when I become an adult, I'll be able to get a job, find a cheap apartment, and just live a life. It's probably going to be boring and hard, but it can't be worse than changing families and lifestyles every couple of months.

At least I get educated here. Lynda's my teacher. She takes care of me while she tries to find me a family to live with.

Lynda thinks that this family will be a keeper but she doesn't have me convinced. Apparently, the next family is a family of 6. I don't really get why they would want another kid, but whatever. It's not like I'm going to be staying there for long anyways. The father's name is Rick, the mom's Amy. Their 4 kids are: Sam; 20, in college. Felix is 18, is a senior in high school. Matt and Lily are both 16 year old twins. At least the ages look fine. I won't be completely excluded. But hey, we never know.

I decide to finally come out of my room and meet them. As soon as I face them, I look at them one by one. On the left side, the older looking couple is who I assume the parents. They look like... well, just regular adults I guess. Not like my residence a couple months ago, the man was freaky as hell!

Rick is tall, with blue eyes and dark brown hair. He's a pretty handsome man for his age. Amy is about a foot shorter than her husband, with light brown hair cut at her shoulders. The man has his arm warped around his wife in a loving manner, both smiling happily.

I look at the three guys and I roll my eyes. Of course they're gorgeous. Apparently they're home is in Los Angeles so that explains their perfectly tanned skin. Sam's hair is black, and he has his father's eyes. He looks at me with a small but friendly smile on his face.

Felix is the odd one out with his light brown hair and paler skin than the others. His dark brown eyes are also surprisingly familiar. I stare at him curiously, until he looks my way too. It was probably just a face in a crowd I saw somewhere.

I try to just let it go, but somehow my mind doesn't let me. I guess I'll have to ask him later.

I shake myself out of my thoughts and look over towards Matt. His hair is blond and his eyes are blue/green. A smirk is playfully resting on his lips and he winks as I look over. I look at him with a disgusted face. He's a cocky bastard, I can tell already.

The small girl besides him, Lily I think, looks like a perfect LA girl. Her straight blond hair almost reaches her hips and she has blue eyes. She is wearing a bright neon skirt, with a one shoulder top and she has hot pink heels on. Her makeup is perfect and she has big-hoop earrings. She's smiling widely towards me and constantly looking towards her family excitedly. You can tell by one look at her that she's a ball full of energy.

As soon as I make myself visible, she's the first to talk. "You must be Alexis!" She exclaims with so much enthusiasm that I'm scared bunnies and rainbows are going to appear shortly. I laugh a little in my head.

"Yeah, that's me." I force a smile on my face, trying to look enthusiastic too, but failing miserably. An awkward silence fills the room.

"We're all so glad to finally meet you Alex." Amy offers warmly. "We can't wait to get you to our home!"

I nod but don't reply. What do they want me to say? I'd rather not answer with a lie, so I just keep my mouth shut.

After a while of packing last-minute stuff, awkward silences, and saying my goodbyes to Lynda and the couple of other kids here, we're ready to leave. I grab my bag and we split into two cars. On the way to the house, Lily and Amy talked a lot, but I simply nodded and replied when it was needed.

We arrive to a normal white house. Two stories, not big, but also not small. Once we all step inside, I quickly ask where my room is going to be. I get there and sit down on my bed, already missing my old one. I don't feel at home here, at least not yet.

Felix brings me out of my memories. "Hey, are you all right?" He says as he sees me spacing out on the bed, doing nothing. I really need to start closing my door.

I nod, "Yeah, and no, I guess. But don't worry I'm fine." I reply with a small frown on my face but I smile through it.

"Don't worry you'll be having fun here, we never get a break." He cracks a small smile but when he sees I'm not going to reply he continues. "You want me to help you unpack?"

"Sure. I only have this bag and that box over there since I didn't get to shop in a while." I say trying not to grimace. "So I guess just grab the box and you can put the clothes up on the hangers."

He nods and gives me a small smile. "Okay." He walks over to the box and opens it. As he starts getting the stuff out, I open my bag and get out the stuff in there. I only have a couple of things in there. A picture of Lynda, myself and the other girls back at the old house, my phone and my IPod (two generous gifts from Lynda), a couple of other things I always have with me, and lastly, my pink volleyball. I get it out and smile to myself. I throw it up once but I quickly put it on the ground besides my bed, promising to myself to go play soon.

I look at how Felix is doing. He's at my last pair of shorts that he's putting on the shelf right now. I go stand beside him. "Umm, I think I'm okay now. Thanks for your help." I say to him.

He nods. "Okay, well don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else. The bathroom is right through that door if you didn't know already. Oh, and dinner is ready soon, so you can come downstairs in like 10 minutes maybe?"

"I'll be there." After I say that, he smiles and leaves the room.

I sigh and turn around to face my new bedroom. Am I ready to do this again? I don't know if I can answer that question. But I can't help but to feel like there's something different here. Is it good or bad? I have no idea, and that's what scares me.

***

Chapter 1! :)

hope you liked it! tell me what you think !

(picture of Alex on the side)