Chapter 14- Sweet Couple, Sour Milk

The steady sound of the train passing over the tracks brought me no peace of mind. The sound reminded me of the fact that I was headed towards a place where I didn't want to go. Lately, I've been feeling a longing to be back in Hawaii. To visit the boys' graves in three days at exactly 7:06 in the morning.

Perhaps, maybe, I could convince the group to make a slight detour.

At the very thought of this, my heart began to ache.

It ached even more when I thought about actually seeing the graves of some of the people I loved most.

I remembered all the terrible feelings I had all those months ago.

"We are here today to celebrate the lives of five extremely remarkable people." Steve's voice rang clear over the crowd of mourners. "They were the best of the best and they died heroes. It was a terrible accident in which they died-"

I forgot what Steve told me. Apparently, the government was passing off our deaths as an accident. I don't remember what kind nor do I really care.

"-but we all have a path. A path that we are given. Some people, like the five lying before me today, were given paths that were meant to teach others a lesson. Personal lessons. Do not let them have died in vain. Live the way you were meant to." Steve finished his speech with a single tear.

Cute.

And oh so very fake.

From my distance, I could barely see the names written on the tombstones. Joe Alisi, Alexander Corradetti, John Parry, Daniel Jacobs and Adara Williams. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would ever live to see the day where my name was written on a tombstone.

But then, who does really?

I've had the pleasure of going to my own funeral twice now. The first time I was killed in a motorcycle accident. It was mainly to give closure to my family and friends so I could leave with the squad while they had peace of mind. They wouldn't have to worry about how I was doing or what I was doing. It was also for their own protection. This time, I don't know what my cause of death is. Nor do I care, honestly. I'm dead. That's all that matters.

This was exhausting.

The rifles went off and all the mourners cleared out. Steve slowly walked by all the coffins and patted all of them except mine. I know he blames me for not doing a good enough job. I blame myself as well. I was trained to always take someone in for questioning under suspicious circumstances. But I didn't.

I let my emotions control me and pulled the trigger.

Twice.

"Ready to go home?" Steve's voice pulled me out of my trance.

Where was my home? Hone is somewhere where you are safe. I am not safe anywhere.

I have nowhere to go.

"I hear your penthouse in New York has a really nice view. And it came fully furnished." Steve came to my rescue.

"Yes. Yes, it did." I looked at Steve. "Some old guy is paying for it."

Steve smiled at me knowingly. "I heard that too. Good for you. You finally found someone who will put up with you long enough to do you a favor."

I looked at Steve long and hard. "Actually I found five. But recently, four of them have left my life." I gestured to the graves in front of us.