Chapter 3- Loud Questions, Silent Answers

Chapter 3

We met for frozen yogurt the next day. It took a while for me to convince her to call me by my new name: Dannie Billy. She asked why but I couldn't tell her. Not yet.

Adara William was still a name that belonged to me, but I hated it. I hated what that name had become to me. The blood that came with it. I wanted to start again; a clean slate. I wasn't the same person Adara was- at least, I didn't want to be.

I had called Carina to set up a time and for her to give me the address. We agreed at 14:00. I arrived at 13:30 to map out the unfamiliar territory. I noted all the escape routes and venting systems in case of an emergency. You can never be too careful.

I choose a table in the corner of the restaurant that had a clear view of the door and also the rest of the restaurant.

The front door of the shop opened and closed. Familiar footsteps made their way towards me. "Hi." Carina's voice came from in front of me as she slid into the unoccupied chair opposite of me.

I just looked at her. I couldn't force words out of my mouth. I had made a big decision last night; I would tell her what happened. Not everything, just as much as she could handle. This thought alone rendered me speechless. How would she look at me after? Would she think of me differently? She definitely would if I told her the whole story. Another reason why not to tell her.

I had thought for hours after we had hung up our phone call. There were so many questions to which she wanted the answers to. I wasn't prepared to give them at the time but now I couldn't help but think 'what the hell'. She was a big girl and I was prepared for any reaction she would throw at me. Unless she cried. I still wasn't sure about that one.

I was finally brought out of my thoughts as Carina cleared her throat.

"Tall me something no one knows about you." Carina beamed at me.

"Like what?" I asked eyeing her warily.

"Like," she responding while dragging out the 'i' in the word, "have you gotten any pets since I last saw you?"

My answer was short and simple. "No."

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No."

"How about tattoos? Have you gotten any secret tattoos like you said you wanted to get when we were kids?"

My right hand subconsciously moved to cover my left wrist where the ink was covered by many layers of concealer.

"No." I lied through my teeth.

I hated lying to Carina. It was so hard. When we were younger, we told each other everything. But it's for her own good.

"So, how long have you been in New York?" She asked me out of curiosity, seemingly bored with our previous game.

"11 months on the dot yesterday." My answer was straight to the point and left no room to the imagination. I didn't need her asking too many questions in such a public place.

I quickly diverted the conversation so it would revolve around her.

"How long have you been in New York? What brought you here?" I asked quickly so she didn't have any time to insert her own questions.

She gave me a knowing look. "I've been here for a couple weeks." Suddenly her face grew sad, "I moved here with my boyfriend because a job promotion opened up for me and he already had an apartment here."

Her upset face peaked my interest. "What did he do? Do I have someone to beat up?" I asked, my protective mode going into hyper drive. I was fiercely protective of my friends and family. That and I liked to fight.