17. Alexander

"A Fight Between Gods"

// Before I begin I'd like you to vote here on who you think the winner will be Constance or Anthony? //

"C-constance." I nervously call out to try to grab her attention for a brief talk before the upcoming fated duel between the squabbling pair.

After their altercation inside an undeniable air of tension has been hovering over the group as we follow behind Anthony as he leads us around the castle towards our new battleground.

I need to talk to Constance though so I can possibly persuade her to set aside her pride and apologize to Anthony to avoid the brawl altogether. However she walks ahead of me silently with her head facing down towards the floor. She had to know that all eyes and thoughts were on her at the moment. She was about to face our mentor -- somebody who probably had years of experience under his belt! Despite my calling out to her she kept walking leading me to conclude she was purposefully ignoring me.

I speed walk to catch up to her and tug her sleeve, "Constance."

Without bothering to look up she replies plainly, "Don't talk to me."

Irritation fills me as I am slightly taken aback by her coarse reply but I remain determined to talk to the trouble-maker.

"Constance, just listen to me. You should consider apologizing to Anthony."

"Oh?" She huffs out, almost amused. "And why would I do that?"

She still refuses to look up even as we turn another corner and I can't help but to wonder if she's secretly nervous but doesn't want anyone else to notice. Nonetheless I continue with my pitiful attempt to convince her of a nonviolent resolution,

"I know you're strong, but Anthony is our mentor. And whether you respect him or not doesn't matter right now. The fact that he is our mentor proves he has a lot of experience under his belt and I thin-"

"Oi, creep." She interrupts before finally looking up to meet eyes with me, "Are you worried about me?"

What?

I mean-- Fuck.

Am I worried?

I mean why else would I want her to talk to Anthony so bad... and none of our other friends seem to be worrying.

Why is it just me?

"You're such a fucking dumbass." She states before shaking her head and directing her attention back to floor. Before I can object she proceeds to speak once more,

"You shouldn't worry about me. I don't want you to."

But I can't help it...

I notice her eye my face which has only contorted with even further concern despite her wishes.

She exhales a heavy sigh before saying,

"Oi, I'm going to kick this douchebags ass and get myself some mashed potatoes after for a treat."

A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips at her confident statement and despite my mind still racing with nervous thoughts about the match I feel slightly more at ease. But this ease doesn't last for long as I hear Anthony's voice from the front,

"We're here."

Being so absorbed in conversing with Constance I didn't even have time to realise we had walked outside to the back of the castle. I take the time to observe the scenery.