11. Alexander

We finish scarfing our dinners down briskly with our nerves on edge about the impending meeting with council. Although none of us speak our worries out loud, we all mutually understand the incessant questions haunting our brains.

What are they going to say to us?

What is life going to be like here?

What is our purpose?

Separate from my worries about council I subconsciously find myself desperately wrangling the nagging nostalgic thoughts about my home, my parents, and most prominently my old life into a cage in the back corners of my head.

I know all to well at this point that the idea of ever returning home is a frivolous fantasy.

"Where do you think were supposed to go for this meeting?" Amber questions curiously, her bright blue eyes glowing with her usual buoyancy and I can't help myself from wondering about her.

How does she feel about all of this? She doesn't have a power, yet she willing joined us here.

"Oi, probably the hallway they went down previously." Constance replies while Beelzebub crawls all over her joyfully.

I couldn't prevent a small, smug, smile from tugging at the corners of my mouth as I watch this ironic scene before me.

Why would this hyper ball of fluff choose the least lively person to become attached to?

"Keep staring creep and I'll gouge your eyeballs out when you're asleep." Constance remarks caustically as she glares at my smug expression that slowly fades into one of slight unease due to their comment.

It's just a joke right?

Her piercing somber orbs remain glaring intensely into mine.

Perhaps not.

"A-anyways." I stutter out in an ineffective attempt to shake the eerie sensation Constance bestowed upon me, "We should get headed towards the meeting, they're probably waiting for us."

Everyone nods in compliance and we set off in the direction of the council meeting, our minds running rampant with inquiries about about our future.

After our long descent down the seemingly endless hallway we stand outside a gold double-door with a plaque above labeled, "Council."

"I suppose this is it." I say as goosebumps race up my arms in anticipation.

"Oi, really sherlock? You know let's just keep walking for another room labeled 'Council.'"

I peer over my shoulder to shoot Constance a dirty look for her aggravating quip. She shrugs in response to my scowl, before pushing me roughly out of the way to stand in front of the door. Exhaling an audible sigh, she pushes against the door.

Nothing.

The door doesn't budge causing Constance to examine the door from top to bottom before pushing once more against it's large golden frame.

Nothing.

"Oi, what the bloody hell is wrong with this door." She states irritably as she continues her futile pushes against the door.

Silently, Dante makes his way to the front with Beelzebub trailing closely behind his pyrokinetic master. Once he is beside Constance, he gently nudges her signaling her to move, and she reluctantly complies, still groaning in annoyance about the door.

Dante reaches his hand forward and pulls on one of the glass knobs.

The door swings open in obedience, and I look to see Constance's gaping mouth as Dante casually shrugs before stepping forth into the room with his faithful furry companion in pursuit.