7. Alexander

We walk swiftly down the hallways looking for the exit since we all concurred that returning back to the cafeteria now would be a dangerous idea. Walking down the hallway together we refuse to discuss the depressing idea plaguing our minds currently:

We can never go back to the lives we were living.

Constance is the first one to break the eerie silence amongst us,

"Oi, Beelzebub lad, what's your name?"

Peering over his shoulder, he raises an eyebrow subtly at Constance's demonic reference. However, he softly murmurs,

"Dante."

Dante? I laugh to myself, In that case Constance wasn't too far off with her reference when Dante is the prominent character in the novel about the various levels of hell: Dante's Inferno.

At this point, my mind is dancing with endless questions, but most prominently the fearful question of,

Where do we go from here?

Abruptly Dante pauses and proceeds to hold his arm out to the side signaling us to stay back. Constance however, continues to walk forward blatantly disregarding his arm. Her insensitivity mind boggles me at times likes these, especially when we owe him a thank you for saving us before.

"Constanc-" I begin, but she waves her arm back and forth hushing me immediately. Out of annoyance I step forward as well peering past them to see what they're looking at.

I'm tired of being treated like a child by her.

Shockingly, at the end of the hallway stands three figures. From this distance it is difficult to clearly make out their appearances but by their outlines two appear to be male while the other appears to be female.

"Again?" I whisper, thinking back on how we barely managed to escape the last altercation we engaged in.

Before any of us can speak the three figures approach us slowly, and I feel my stomach twist into multiple knots as I look between Constance and Dante noticing their shoulders tensing up. Constance narrows her eyebrows as the small group continues traversing their way across the floor towards us.

Besides Constance and Dante I feel particularly insignificant and weak. Unlike them, I can't use my power in a flashy manner, my power is subtle, and in times like these feels almost useless. Standing here I feel a wave of sadness wash over me as I reach the conclusion my presence is more of a nuisance rather than an aid to these two.

Interrupting my thoughts, the woman figure, who I can clearly determine to be female now, breaks into a sprint towards us. I clench my fist tightly as I prepare for our next altercation, silently vowing to myself to not hinder Constance or Dante. As the woman comes closer, I can distinguish more of her features. Long, cascading, black hair flows behind her as she runs, and as I look at her face I find myself feeling slightly puzzled. Examining her face, I can't help but find her features to be uncanningly familiar to somebody else's. Soon, she is only almost fifteen feet away and she begins to rapidly wave her hands in the air towards us, except for some reason these waves do not appear to be of malicious intent, instead it seems friendly, like she was trying to greet us.

"Oh.." Constance murmurs, and I look towards her. Her already pale face has fallen a ghostly white, and her mouth is gaping as she continues to speak lowly,

"My...

Bloody...

Hell..."

For a moment I gaze at her in bewilderment until I turn back to the woman racing towards us excitedly. The dots begin to connect inside my brain as I look back and forth between Constance and her.