Chapter Thirty-Six

Expression Triangle

"What do you mean you took her to New York?" I overheard Stefan ask on the phone to Damon.

I was in Damon's room getting ready and Stefan was downstairs.

"And that time is the reason I didn't pick up the phone the first twenty times you called."

"Where is she now?" Stefan asked, talking about Elena.

"Out exploring. Maybe she's eating a hot dog... vendor."

"So I take it your search for Katherine is off."

"Relax, man. This little joy ride is actually a cure hunt. That vampire that Katherine sent after Hayley is a friend of mine. He lived in the city. Will gets vampires fake identities, and I'm sure that Katherine's one of his clients." Damon explained.

"And Elena's okay with this little field trip?" Stefan asked, "just yesterday, she was living the vampire high life. She doesn't want the cure."

"That's why I didn't tell her." Damon responded.

"Damon, if she finds out you're still looking for it, she'll bolt."

"I'm aware of that, Stefan. What I'm hoping is she's gonna be so wasted on booze and blood that she won't even think about it."

"Don't underestimate her." Stefan said.

"If I can handle you when you flipped your switch, I can handle her. Trust me."

"Listen to me. She's ruthless without her humanity. The cure's the fastest way to get it back." Stefan explained.

"Just be a good brother and keep Mystic Falls afloat for me and let me do my thing. You've got an immortal named Silas to deal with, remember?" Damon then hung up.

I walked downstairs and into a room filled with empty plastic cups, alcohol, and Stefan, Klaus, and Caroline.

"What is he doing here?" I asked, talking about Klaus.

"I asked him to be here," Stefan answered, "we need his help. I think Silas is in Mystic Falls."

\||\

"So some blood went missing from a few hospitals. What about Elena? Don't vampires with their humanity off tend to overindulge in human blood, or were you the exception?" Klaus asked, after Stefan told him about the blood in the hospitals.

"It's not Elena." Stefan responded.

"Well, let's say for a moment that it was Silas. I'm struggling to see how this affects me." Klaus said, sitting down on the couch.

"Look. Silas wants to die and be reunited with his one true love, but he's supernatural, so if he takes the cure and dies, he gets stuck on the other side." Stefan explained.

"How shakespearian." Klaus smiles.

"But if he destroys the other side altogether, he can take the cure, die, and pass on, but in destroying it, every dead supernatural being will return to our side."

"That means every werewolf, every witch, every vampire. I wonder how many of those you personally killed. Care yet?" Caroline asked.

"My interest is piqued. How do we stop him?" Klaus asked.

"Bonnie said Silas needs to complete three massacres to do this spell. Before Professor Shane died, he convinced the Pastor to blow up the council. Next, he has you kill your hybrids, and now he only needs one more massacre, so If he's here, that's what he's doing. We need to find him." Stefan explained.