Chapter Nineteen

Alaric Saltzman

A lot of things can happen in one night. Alaric died, I sold my house, and I'm moving in with Jeremy and Elena.

The three of us were painting the room Alaric would stay in if he ever slept there. The color was a light green and we're going with a darker green. I dipped my paint brush in the tray when Stefan walked in.

"Going darker, huh?" He asked.

"It's the only color we had." Elena answered.

"That's what happens when you decide to paint your dead guardian's room in the middle of the night." Jeremy said.

"I don't suppose anyone tried to talk you guys out of doing this... so soon." Stefan said.

"We have to keep moving. Otherwise we'll start thinking, and we don't want to think." I told him.

"You want a hand?" Stefan asked.

"So are you two, like, back together or something?" Jeremy asked.

"What? No, Jer, we're just—"

"I was just checking up on you guys, seeing how you were doing. After, uh... after everything." Stefan replied.

"We're fine. But, if you are trying to be the good guy again, why don't you do the right thing and give us one day. Just one day without any vampires, besides Ellie, in it." Jeremy told him with anger then left the room.

"He didn't mean that." Elena told Stefan.

"Yea... yea, he did."

The doorbell rang. "I'll get it." I said. I set my brush down and went downstairs to open the door and Stefan followed.

When I opened the door I saw Damon and Bonnie. Bonnie was still in her dress from last night and had bite marks, with blood, on her neck.

"We have a problem." Damon said.

\||\

"Alaric's alive. He turned." Damon told us as the four of us were in the kitchen and Bonnie held a cloth up to her neck.

"What do you mean, he turned? I thought you were standing guard." Stefan said.

Alaric's alive? I felt my breathing become heavier.

"Don't blame me! Blame Bonnie the blood bank. She fed him." Damon whined.

"I had no idea what was happening. Okay, the witches led me there. They wanted him to feed so he'd turn." Bonnie explained.

"So, where's the stake now?" Stefan asked.

"Oh, you mean the hire oak one? The one that can kill an original and wipe out an entire line of vampires? We don't know." Damon said giving a glare to Bonnie.

"If you are so upset with me, why did you feed me your blood to save my life?" Bonnie asked.

"Because I do stupid things, Bonnie. I do things, like let my friend die with dignity when I should have just killed him." Damon said upset.

"Alright, so how do we kill him now?" Stefan asked.

"We're not killing him." I said.

They all looked at me. "Ellie, it's his dark side. It's not him." Damon told me and I just stayed quiet.

"A witch can't truly make an immortal creature. There's always a way to undo a spell." Bonnie said.

"So? What's the witchy workaround?" Damon asked Bonnie.