Chapter Eight

Homecoming

"Portland is fantastic once you can get over all the whiney music. And healthy looking people. It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves." Klaus said on the other line from Stefan's phone.

"Your fathers dead." Stefan told him.

"What did you say to me?" Klaus asked.

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father, and not dead. Mikael. Daggered." There was a pause. "What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened."

Earlier

"Alright, We'll day that Mikael followed Elena in here. He tried to grab her so he could use her as bait." Stefan said as he, Elena, Damon and I walked into a room. He was explaining to us the plan to lure Klaus into Mystic Falls so we can kill him.

"And you, what, vervained him?" Elena asked.

"No, we vervained him. The guy's an original. Make it realistic." Damon answered.

"Okay. We vervained him. And in the process discovered that he had a dagger." Stefan corrected.

"Which he planned to use on Rebekah. But instead..." Elena started.

"We drove it through his heart." Stefan finished.

"And what happened when he asks to see Mikael's body?" I asked.

"Good point. You, my brother, have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So if the idea is to lure him back here and kill him, the last think we need is you getting tripped up and tongue tied." Damon told Stefan.

"Well don't look at me. I'm just in charge of getting him back here." Stefan replied.

"Klaus is smart. If we tell him that Mikael's dead, he'll want proof." Elena said.

"Then I shall be dead." Mikael joined in, holding the dagger and oak tree ash.

Elena and Stefan walked up to him while Damon kept me away from him. He doesn't trust Mikael ever since he found out he feeds on vampires.

"What if he wants to see you in person?" I asked.

"Well, it means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him."

"With what? Those daggers won't work on him." Stefan asked.

"Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these she's when it burned." He explained. Mikael opened a small jar and dipped the dagger into it.

"Where is it?" Damon asked.

"Not here." Answered Mikael.

Damon rolled his eyes.

"Knowing it's location is my insurance policy."

"Against what?" Stefan asked.

"You leaving this in my heart." Mikael answered, "you see a vampire can't dagger an original without dying. So... it falls to you." He looked at Elena and handed her the dagger.

She took it. "You want me to actually dagger you?"

"Klaus will leave nothing to chance. Especially when it comes to trust."