An Accident

The next day, Kelly and Stella had shift. Since it was a Sunday, the kids were all dropped off with Cindy Herrmann.

As they walked into work, they ran into Matt and Gabby.

"Hey guys." Gabby greeted them.

"Hey. You guys ready for another day of saving lives?" Kelly asked, receiving nods from everyone.

"I'm actually just ready to pick up our kiddos in the morning." Stella told him, resting her head on his shoulder. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Kelly told her, kissing her forehead as they continued inside.

It wasn't long before truck 81 and Ambo 61 got a call to a house fire. As they loaded up, Kelly winked at Stella, his way of telling her to be careful.

The longer the call went on, the more Kelly began to worry. Sure, calls could last a long time, but this time, he had a bad feeling. That feeling was intensified when Chief Boden approached the squad table.

"Kelly, you've got to get to Med."

"What? What's going on?" Kelly asked, trying not to panic.

"Stella got hurt, the floor gave way inside the house on the call. I've got you covered, you two take the rest of shift off."

Kelly nodded and ran inside, grabbing his keys before running back out and speeding to the hospital.

-/-/-/

"How is she? How's Stella?" Kelly asked frantically as he ran into Med.

"Hey, she's going to be just fine, Kelly, take a breath." April assured him as Dr. Choi joined them.

"Stella is stable. She does, however have a broken femur and a pretty serious concussion. She's resting now, you can go see her. I'm keeping her overnight so you can stay if you'd like. She's in 4."

"Great, Thanks."

Kelly hurried off to room 4 and saw his wife asleep with a cast on her entire leg. He sat down beside her bed and gently picked up her hand, kissing it as she woke up.

"Hey." She said, exhausted.

"I'm so glad you're okay." Kelly told her. "I love you so much."

"I love you too."