Fourteen

Nick

I stepped through the front door, instantly wondering towards the kitchen and I attached the sonogram to the fridge with a magnet. I couldn't stop myself from smiling, my heart full already with so much love for my baby. I know that Demi and I aren't ever going to get another shot at a relationship because I don't want to ruin our friendship, but I want to be there for her and my baby as much as I can. I don't want my baby growing up to think another guy is their daddy. I don't want another guy to take my place.

I sighed as I ran my hand over my head, pulling my phone from my pocket as it vibrated with a text.

Joe: How's baby Jovato doing?

I rolled my eyes at the message but couldn't expect anything less from Joe. Joe and Jess are the only people that knew we had an appointment today other than Kelsey and Max, and Max only knew because he took us.

Me: I have never been so in love! The feeling is unreal man.

I looked back up at the sonogram, smiling at the image of my unborn baby. Mine and Demi's unborn baby.

I hadn't realised how long I'd been staring at the sonogram until a knock sounded on the front door. I grabbed myself a bottle of water from the refrigerator and began towards the front door, pulling it open to reveal Jess.

"Hi Handsome" I stroked my fingers gently through her hair as she stepped towards me, leaning to gently kiss me.

"Hi Gorgeous" I spoke once I'd disconnected our lips. I gently shut the door behind her and turned to face her, her arms instantly circled around my waist as she snuggled herself into my chest. The smell of coconut wafted into my nostrils, it's a nice smell, but it definitely isn't as nice as Demi's vanilla.

"How was the appointment?"

"I-I am so in love" I released a chuckle, tightening my arms slightly around her, like I was afraid that she'd pull away. "I don't think I've ever felt this way before, ya know? It's like this completely different feeling. I mean, I'm gonna be a dad. There's eventually going to be either a little me or a little Demi running around, somebody to call my own, ya know?" as I spoke, Jess gently pulled herself from my grip.

"That sounds so exciting" she tried to sound interested but I could tell that she wasn't.

"Jess, what's wrong?" her eyes looked up to meet mine and she sighed, running her fingers through her hair.

"I'm happy for you, Nick. I-I really, really am happy for you, but I mean, you're having a baby with your best friend and that isn't the easiest thing for me to deal with. I know I said that I was cool with it but I don't think I realised how much responsibility it's going to be" I took a step backwards, my heart slowly beginning to pound against my chest. I don't think I'll ever love Jess, but I'm scared of her leaving. "If this relationship lasts, I'm going to be a stepmom, Nick. If I'm going to be honest with you, I don't think I'm ready for that" I glanced down at the floor, bringing my lips into a thin line. "I'm 23, I don't even know where I want my life to go yet. I don't even know if I see kids in my future."

"I suppose it's good that you're telling me this now and not 5 years down the road" I looked up at Jess who had a sad smile spread across her face.

"Nick, I really like you, but I don't think your feelings for me are as strong as my feelings are for you" I shook my head and went to speak but Jess cut me off. "You obviously have unresolved feelings for Demi and you're gonna be a dad, Nick. You need to focus on that before you start thinking about a serious relationship" I knew that what she was saying was true. "If you ever get to a point in your life..." she cut herself off and shook her head. I could see in her eyes, that she was trying to keep me from looking into, that this was kind of breaking her. "I wish you all the luck in the world, Nick. You're going to be the most amazing daddy to that little boy or girl. I'll see you around, Nick" before I could even say anything, she'd pressed a kiss to my cheek and walked by me to leave my apartment. I thought I'd be more broken, but I have to admit that I'm more relieved.

-

Me: My parents have invited you and your family over for lunch on Sunday? You free to come?

Demi: I'll ask my parents but it shouldn't be an issue.

I locked my phone and dropped it down onto the couch, running my hand over my head as I stared off at the TV that was playing highlights from the latest MMA match. I wasn't really paying attention, memories of mine and Demi's brief relationship running through my head. Now that Jess isn't in my life anymore, I'm already starting to feel lonely.

"Nick" Demi squealed and squirmed on the bed as I continued to tickle at her sides. A smirk remained on my face as her laugh, the most beautiful sound in the world, rang through my ears. "Stop" I chuckled as she tried to push me off her. I stopped with the tickling which left her a breathless mess beneath me, her gorgeous brown puppy eyes burning into mine. "You are so dead" her voice was a quiet whisper, and I moved my arms to either side of her head and lightly pressed our foreheads together.

"You are so beautiful" I smiled as her cheeks flushed, my fingers running gently through her hair.

"And you are so full of shit."

"You know that I'm a shit liar" she rolled her eyes and shook her head, but I leant to lightly press a kiss to her plump and soft pink lips. I allowed her to roll us over, allowing her to straddle my hips. I placed my hands onto her thighs, running them along her smooth and tanned skin. "Have I ever told you how sexy you look in this lingerie?" I lightly ran my finger along her stomach, our skin not touching due to the thin white fabric that she was wearing. She dropped her head back and lightly bit down on her bottom lip, slowly driving me insane. "You drive me crazy" her laugh erupted through the room and my heart burst.

 "You drive me crazy" her laugh erupted through the room and my heart burst

——