"A school friend?"

Finally I had enough of Trev and gingerly tapped my friend on the shoulder. "Are you gonna go or what?"

She turned around slowly, eyeing me conspicuously, as if trying to get across a message. I knew what she was trying to say but at that stage, I didn't care.

He laughed, waving his hands about in an odd way.

"I'm only kidding, kiddos. Down you go."

Sadie didn't waste a second descending the stairs. I couldn't see anything from the top, but I could hear different music from the bottom, a softer one.

"Be careful not to fall on your way down, ladies." He said the last statement with a tone that made me resist turning to glare at him. I followed Sadie down the steps, into the darkness that led us to a beaded entryway. She swung it to a side, stepping into the room.

"Hey guys."

There were a couple of people I didn't recognize, but Colby was there, alongside Natalia, who looked up meekly to see up walk into the crowded space. She shot up, moving across the space in a speed I didn't think possible.

"Oh my god, Finley you Came."

I didn't miss the curious looks I received from the other people in the room as I laughed awkwardly and hugged her. She looked down at us.

"You hadn't gotten anything to drink?" She looked over at Sadie who shrugged.

"Cmon, I'll take you."

I turned to protest but she held up a hand. "No party is fun sober, especially not your first."

I heard someone snicker and turned to see a guy in the corner, a glass of neon blue alcohol in his hands. I tossed him a bored look before following Nat back up the stairs.

"You look pretty." She commented, without turning to look at me.

"You too." I responded automatically, hating the idle chit chat that accompanies the first half of the night. Finally we reached the kitchen area, there was a small countertop that someone had placed a wooden board atop to hide the decay underneath. In the corner, lay a small fridge which Nat swung open, grabbing two bottles.

"You can take one for Sadie too." She said, tossing me one. I took the two coolers in my hands, looking at them in mock interest before taking a gulp of the cold liquid.

She grabbed one more for herself before she turned towards me, her eyes flashing dangerously behind me as they singled in in something behind me. She sighed deeply, something between annoyance and panic overtaking her features as she slacked her jaw.

"Shit."

This time I did turn around, curiosity had gotten the best of me and I swung around to see the start of a fight. I didn't have the best view, as people had started to crowd around it. I stepped forward timidly, my eyes catching the side of a guy's face. Dark brown curls is all I saw as he moved fast, driving his fist into the other guy who was currently on the ground.

It was like something was holding me there, watching on in fascination as he grabbed the guy on the ground, picking him up before bashing him down to the ground again. I heard the sound of his head bouncing off the ground and it ran through me, making my blood run cold. In the midst of all the chaos, someone started yelling and I almost didn't hear the gunshot echo throughout the small house.

That's when the screaming started.

All the hype from the fight died out pretty quickly as people began to realize that a shot had been fired. The guy standing went slack, his hands going to his abdomen in shock, and then people were pushing me back in a frenzy, shrieking and in a chaotic panic to get out.