R E G R E T

d o n ' tp l a yt h es o n gy e t

d o n ' t
p l a y
t h e
s o n g
y e t
. . .

V A N E S S A

"Hi mom, how are you feeling?" I ask her as she lightly rubs her frail hand over mine.

"Fine, I'm just tired is all." She gives her usual "everything is fine," smile, which makes me believe that everything is not fine.

"You look better than yesterday,"

"I looked bad yesterday?"

"No, I'm just saying you always look good but even more so today." I wave her off and she lightly laughs. "Have you eaten anything today?"

"Not yet, I'm not very hungry though. Have you?" She asks.

"No, it's fine though."

"Go eat,"

"Vanessa, go eat. It's fine. I should be getting some rest right now. Now go, have Faust take you to get something." She orders and I can't do anything but oblige.

"Okay, I love you." I kiss her forehead and sigh.

"I love you too." She smiles and watches me exit her hospital room. I walk down the quiet hallway and find my head spinning on my shoulders. Too much is happening in such a small window of time, I'm stressing out. Mars had a stupid business meeting today, so he couldn't be here to distract me from both my mother, and also Faust.

I approach the waiting area and see the handsome man I used to call mine, sort of, sitting on a black chair looking out the window with solemnness o his face. I imagine he's studying each raindrop that patters against the window, the grey clouds ridding the rest of the outside of luridness. His hazel eyes catch mine as I don't even realize my mindless staring. I straighten myself up and mosey towards him.

"Hey," I say.

"How she doing?" He asks immediately as he stands, towering my petit figure.

"She's resting. She wants us to go get lunch, I haven't eaten anything and she insisted that I eat."

"Oh, okay. Let's go then." He says quickly and brushes past me to the exit. I take in his light ocean musk and bite my lip.

Control yourself.

I follow suit behind him, wondering if he has gotten over everything between us much faster than I can admit-sadly.