Chapter 12

I woke up with a cold sweat. I rubbed my wrist that had a burning sensation from phantom fires. I shivered as I remembered my nightmare. At least I didn't wake up and walk around the palace or see Prince Keefe.

My maids came and bathed me. They were lovely, they asked enough questions so they could get the basic gist of what happened when Keefe came over, but they guarded them enough where I had a bit of privacy.

Flori placed my usual moonlark necklace on my collarbone while Mitya helped me put on my dress. I loved it, it was teal, as most of my previous dresses were, but was strapless. It was a high-low dress, the front stopped through my knees, and the end stopped at my ankles. I was once again put in heels I most definitely could not survive in. Flori handed me over a simple silver bracelet that had a knot in it. Calla clipped on my earrings and twisted my hair into a gorgeous bun with braids running through it. Mitya and Flori had finished picking out a cape, a long black cloak that had a silver thread running through it. It was almost a velvety texture, and I couldn't help but smile at the touch of it.

I took a deep breath and made my way to breakfast. Thankfully, I didn't get lost, but I did run into someone, thankfully not as literal as before.

"I do wonder why that color is preferred in your fashion, Sophie," Alison told me. Her voice almost had a valley girl accent to it, which almost made me giggle because while she was attempting to speak formally, she almost sounded British as well.

"This color reminds me of home. I miss home, so I want to remind myself that my home will always be there for me." I finger the material of the dress a little bit, admiring it.

"Do you like Biana?"

"Could you repeat that?"

"Do you like Biana? Because this matches her eye color and from what I've noticed of the other girls, they generally where something similar to the blue of Keefe's eyes."

I could feel Biana's stare at me as I said, "Oh! No no, I don't like Biana in that way. She's a wonderful sweet girl, but I'm not interested in her that way. I'm close to someone who has the same color eyes as her. They're not common, but they are beautiful."

"Oh, ok then." And she went on to her usual business, which was glaring at people.

I continued down the hall to find Bex and Janis. Bex had her hair in a simple bun and wore a white light dress that hit almost below the knees. It had a three finger strap and periwinkle accents sowed on to it, as well as the same color belt and shoes. They looked similar to sandals but had a wedge on them. 

From what I remembered of Janis, she used to have bleached tips in her hair and choppy bangs that almost covered her eyebrows, and I should probably mention she had a nose piercing. Now those tips were cut off and layered, most of her bangs were cut off into stylish side bangs that framed her face. Her nose piercing was removed, but it seems that Janis put a very tiny diamond nose stud on it. She wore a deep purple dress that closely resembled her dark blue eyes. There was no design from the bodice down, but her sleeves that hit her elbow were lace. She wore flats that reminded me of sneakers for some reason. Janis had smokey eye makeup and bold lipstick that worked very well with her look.

We were talking when Ri and Marlaena joined us.

Ri wore very little makeup, probably some to cover skin imperfections or give a little more color to her lips, the powder she didn't need. She was dressed in a turquoise dress that was mostly lace. It was almost similar to Janis's; it had short lace sleeves that covered to the bodice, though the strapless layer underneath wore no pattern and had a skirt that hugged her leg that stopped above the knee. She had an almost transparent lace layer of cloth over the dress that ended at her ankles. She wore her usual gold necklace and one gold square earing, wearing only a gold stud on the other ear which was covered by her dark hair, which was pushed to that side. Her ankle had a thin braid of gold, just above her shoes. She wore flats today because she usually jokes that whoever invented heels should be cursed to walk in them forever.