Chapter Five

What did that mean?

Fitz didn't even go to the treehouse? That's just cruel. Of course, I wouldn't be expected to go as much as Fitz; he set up the meeting!

But there was a part of my mind that kept hoping. What if he was waiting for me to go so he could go? But he can't see the treehouse from my window as clearly as I can from his house. He doesn't even have a window!

I erased all memories of Fitz from my mind, but I couldn't erase my emotions, it was painful.

Soon enough, the report came, they would be announcing the Selected today. Grady and Edaline curled up on the couch, with a bowl of overcooked popcorn ready. Amy and I sat on the carpeted floor of the tiny living room. The clock turned eight as the television turned on.

On camera, Prince Keefe seemed... nervous? But Prince Keefe never looked nervous on camera. Granted he was going to find out who could be his possible wife but... he was fidgeting. A lot.

Keefe Sencen was a remarkably handsome man. No kidding there, I couldn't deny it. He had artfully styled messy blond hair and piercing ice blue eyes. His clothes were very fitted and expensive and tailored to exact fit and perfection. Prince Keefe looked like he had muscles, but I couldn't tell through his jerkin and tunic. He generally had a relaxed position in his chair, but today he was sitting straight, and a tight-lipped smile replaced his mischevious smirk.

Oh, my gnome. Prince Keefe was nervous.

The King updated us on the war in New Korea, then the Head of Finance talked about economics. Soon the host, Tiergan, started to interview the prince about the Selection.

Tiergan has experienced three Selections, King Clarkson and Queen Amberly's, King Cassius and Queen Gisela's, and now Prince Keefe's. He was Two (obviously) and always carried a charming smile, which caused eye crinkles over the years. He had tan skin and dark blue eyes (I don't remember what the color). He had sandy blonde hair that occasionally had a gray beard.

"Prince Keefe! How are you feeling!"

"Well, Sir Tiergan, I'm quite jumpy, I mean, my quest for a partner begins today! It's quite a day for me."

"It most certainly is! So, Your Highness, what kind of girl are you looking for?"

Prince Keefe hesitated for a second then replied, "You never quite know who you're looking for until you find them."

"Wise words, Your Majesty. Now, my Queen, what are your words of advice for the Selected?" Tiergan asked, transitioning to Queen Gisela.

Lady Gisela had blond hair, but not like Prince Keefe's. It was pulled up halfway with a peach ribbon that matched her dress. She was wearing a peach dress with thread that looked glowing weaved in. She wore a cape of the same material with peach roses sowed on.

She dressed like she was put together, but she didn't act like it. 

Queen Gisela blinked as if she just returned from a daydream, her eyelids heavy. She sent a confused look towards the camera then replied, "Uh, be yourself and that stuff. It's better to be sent home for being yourself than staying while being a fake." She spoke as she knew from experience, which kind of frightened me. I didn't feel comforted by the way she spat out the last word.

Tiergan looked a little stressed but replied, "Wise words, My Queen, wise words. Ah, Your Royal Highness!" Tiergan cried when addressing King Cassius.

King Cassius seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face, so his smile looked alien and painful. He had his son's blonde hair, except it appeared gelled to his head. I never liked King Cassius; I don't think many from the lower castes seemed to either.

"Well, be smart. Be a woman. And be the example woman."He seemed to have side-glared at Queen Gisela, who looked like she was back to her daydreams.

"Uh, thank you, my King," Tiergan said looking uncomfortable. "It is now time to announce the Selected! My Prince, it is time!"

"Let's get started!" His tone was laced with hesitance and excitement.

"From Vikin, Two, Stina Heks...."

And it continued so.

"From Rimeshire, Five, Bex Diznee."

Oh my gnome, BEX GOT SELECTED. We immediately Selected and discussed the Selection while watching the report.

"From Havenfield, Five, Sophie Foster."

I think I screamed.

Ok, so I didn't know who could fit in for Gavin. *Eye roll*