Chapter 6

Bex screamed on the phone, and my entire house erupted with noise. Bex had to put down the phone because Kesler and Juline were asking for it. But once the phone disconnected, it never stopped ringing for the next couple of days.

Oh, my gnome. I'm a selected.

All these people from the palace started coming. Measuring me, asking questions, finding my taste. In the last day, a man with the name of Sir Astin came to ask me some medical feelers.

He told me I was now the property of the Most Provinces, that because I'm a Five, I would have low health and to have vitamins, then offered slumberberry tea.

"Nuh uh, no sedatives."

" very well then-"

"No, we'll take it," Edaline offered. " Sophie, you stay awake all night, and those dark circles are starting to look like bruises. "

I sighed in return.

"Alright, the last few questions, I'm going to have to ask that the younger child and the Father be excused for the remainder of this."

Grady seemed to understand what I didn't and took Amy to do some work, as they both were painters.

" Sophie, have you had a boyfriend?"

"No." Technically I was lying, but nobody knew about Fitz and me, which was probably better.

"The last question, have you had sex with anyone?"

I was shocked that they asked, the law said it was mandatory to be a virgin until marriage. 

"No! I haven't even had a boyfriend, for home's sake, and you think I'm not a virgin?"

So this is why Amy had to be escorted out.

"Great, so here is your first check, Lady Sophie, you are now a Three from here on out, though your family continues to be Fives. Any questions?"

We both shook our heads, and I saw the check, that was a lot of digits.

"Great I should be on my way, pack your things today and tomorrow wear a white blouse and black pants, shoes are up to you. And wear your Province gem somewhere," Sir Astin said, handing me a sparkling ruby.

I was shocked when he handed me such a priceless thing, "I can have it?"

"Yes, you can keep it if you would prefer to. You can wear it for the farewell, and take it off after."

He left after a bit, and soon Fitz showed up at our door. He was holding the most beautiful real flowers, matching his watery eyes. "Uh, hey Sophie. Congrats! Uh, the girls wanted to give this to you."

I knew he was giving them to me.

"Sophie, so you need help packing?" I could tell he wanted some time alone with me, but I didn't have it.

Edaline was watching so I replied, "No thank you, I don't have much to carry with me. Tell the girls I'll keep the flowers with me though."

Fitz looked upset but accepted the fact I wouldn't talk to him.

I went to my room and carefully placed the beautiful flowers in a mason jar and kept them in my small purple canvas backpack. I put some spare clothes for when I got eliminated, and photos of my family.

I took out the mason jar after and looked at for a while. So this is what it's like to be heart-broken.

Gahhhh sorry, this chapter was so short, I have a bunch of good things planned out, you're going to enjoy it! There's going to be a lot of plot twists ;)

And please vote and comment - it makes my day :)