Chapter Eight

In the car, I watched all those people who had waited so long to see my drive by. I felt terrible that they only saw a glimpse of me - through a tinted window, so I requested the driver to very slow and put down my window. I met a ton of super sweet girls, boys who had given me roses, and signed a ton of posters that showed support. But there was one poster that caught my eye in particular.

"BROWN EYES RULE" was messily written on the pale blue paper, the girl holding it had hazelnut brown eyes and was probably seven years old. From what I've studied of the other Selected, I was the only one with non-blue eyes. I asked the driver to stop and got out of the car. I walked over and stood on my knees, "What's your name, princess?"

She had her jaw to the ground for almost fifteen seconds but soon said, "L-lucy. A-and I'm n-not a p-p-princess miss." Lucy was nervous, but her lips soon curled into a radiant, glowing smile then exclaimed, "But you will be Lady Sophie!"

I didn't know how to respond to that; I felt my heart drop to my stomach, so I only hugged her and said thank you. I signed her poster, took a picture, kissed her on the cheek. I asked for one's camera, took a selfie with the entire crowd, and gave it back, returning to the car. Through the car window, I signed and took pictures, the driver going as slow as possible while still moving.

I finally arrived at the airport, I was the last one there, holding up the show. I walked over to the three other girls and held out my hand, "Hey! My name's Sophie Foster. It's wonderful to meet you guys in person!"

A girl with a flawless face and chocolate long hair glanced at me with her teal eyes, which reminded me a little too much about Fitz.  "Ok."

I don't know what I did wrong. So I complimented her. "You're Biana, right? Wow, you're beautiful. I think I saw quite a few people waving posters with your name on it." 

She just glared at me and said, "You're pretty too, I guess," and went back to her smartphone.

I tried to ignore the fact that Biana seemed pretty done with me so. "Oh stop it. Thank you!"

"Yes, please stop it. She isn't even pretty, not even the slightest. And those eyes are super weird. What a freak. I bet you'll get eliminated in six weeks. Or less," a girl with frizzy blonde hair and evil blue eyes interrupted. Ah, she was Stina, a Two.

I stared at her for a second, trying to come up with a comeback. "Yeah, at least I own my ugliness. There's this girl Stina, you should know her, she pretends she's something she's not, pretty."

A loud ooo was heard from the girl in the back with crimped red hair and periwinkle eyes. "Bex! It's so good to see you again!" I exclaimed I brushed past Stina and ran to hug her, Bex meeting me halfway

Stina looked puzzled, and Biana asked,"Uhm, do you guys know each other?"

"We're technically cousins by adoption. My aunt and uncle adopted her. We live in neighboring provinces near the border, so we would always see each other," Bex explained.

Then a captain came to escort us on board. Stina purred thank you and showered him with compliments in a sugary voice, you could see in his navy eyes he melted a little.

Stina did her best to keep away from us and settle on the opposite side of the plane, immediately making herself at home, demanding champagne and other things from the lovely flight attendants. So Bex and I sat in the middle towards the other side. Biana sat in the sitting area that was on the other hand, only a couple feet away from us.

The plane was marvelous, it was my first time on a flight, as well as Bex's, so we kept running our hand through things in awe. We found seats that had four chairs, two next to each other facing the other pair. Biana sat, well, I guess you could say beside me, and Bex sat across, staring at the large window.