Chapter 11

For some odd reason, I was supposed to wear a different dress in the evening than during the day. That confused me very much, and I thought it was a waste of material, but went with it anyway because I don't want to look out of place. 

I decided to wear a teal sleeveless dress that had a wispy skirt cinched at the waist with a shiny belt. Mitya thought it was best to wear heels, even though they wouldn't be seen. I was very confused because they wouldn't be seen, and they were quite beautiful. So I had her promise that I'd wear them again, despite my loathing for heels. I had my hair down, though some of it was pulled in to a french braid. My blonde hair had a bit a volume after leaving it in a bun all day. I wore a simple ring that matched my teardrop earrings and diamond studded shoes. As always, I wore my moonlark necklace.

I managed my way downstairs but quickly got lost once again. I wanted to ask the guards for directions, but none I saw seemed to have friendly faces. Finally, one came up to me and asked if I needed help.

"Hi, I'm Jensi, you must be Lady Sophie. Are you the girl with brown eyes? Well obviously because I can see your eyes now. They're so cool. I wish I had brown eyes. Are you lost? You look lost. The Selected are supposed to be in the dining hall. You're not even close. Here, I'll take you." Jensi talked at a breakneck pace like he guzzled a thousand Fanta drinks and had coffee every hour. It was overwhelming, but at least he could help me find where I'm supposed to go.

"Thanks, Jensi. And please don't call me a lady, I am not. So please, just Sophie."

"Sophie... I can do that!"

"Cool beans. Now, where's the dining hall?"

It took us a minute or two to get there and the time in between was filled with jokes and laughing. Jensi told me about his time in the palace, and he was able to tell me about a lot due to his quick chatter.

Soon I reached there and waved good-bye to Jensi, glad I made a friend. I walked in, thankfully not the last one there. There other empty seats, Stina and two of her minions. I silently took my place and started eating. The food here was delicious. 

Stina walked in, like usual, flanked by her two minions. She looked... cheap almost. Though we all knew that none of that could be cheap, we were in Candleshade after all. She had her hair into a low bun on the side of the head, her face caked with too much makeup, more than usual. She wore a red dress that was backless and hugged her curves seductively. It had a slit up almost reaching up her bikini like. Thankfully most of it was covered by ruffles of fabric, but I'm pretty sure I heard a fork drop. Stina flirtatiously winked at Keefe, who visibly gulped and looked almost terrified, though his lips looked like they were on the verge of laughing.

I kept my eyes on the meal, barely participating in the conversation, which was mostly on Stina's fashion choices. When the others asked about my opinion, I, similar Bex and Ri, said,"Look, I'm not a fan of Stina, she's only been horrible to me. But what I do know is that if she's trying to seduce Keefe, she's asking herself for trouble. It's illegal to do the deed before marriage so... whatever she's doing, it won't work."

Because we didn't want to participate in the conversation, Bex, Ri, and I discussed how our day was, despite having just seen each other at lunch. I noticed Keefe trying to catch my attention, but I just smirked at the food in front of him and continued with my conversation.

Ri nudges me and coos," Someone's staring at Sophieeeeee."

I rolled my eyes and elbowed her discreetly so Master Leto wouldn't have to lecture us in front of everyone. After exchanging a couple of words with Elizabeth and Biana, who still didn't seem happy to be next to me, I finally met Keefe's eyes.