Along came a Monkey

The next morning I woke up with Kody laying next to me watching cartoons.

He smiled and ambushed me with kisses saying morning inbetween them.

Ok ok ok! I'm up, I yelled making him laugh.

Yaaaaaayy!, he screamed as he stood up to jump in the bed.

After he got all of that out of the way, we got dressed. Once we did that and packed the rest of our things we headed towards the door when I saw a note hanging from the doorknob.

Morning gorgeous..
It's 4 am and I'm about to head out... I just wanted to thank you for these few days. They meant a lot to me and I cherished every second of it. I'll text you when we make it to Texas.

P.s. Here is Jon's number
553-6534
You're going to kill him about what happened at the Zoo!!

I looked at Kody and looked at note and it hit me...... Kody saw a Monkey at the Zoo yesterday and that's why he was beating up on them.

Hey Short man, I said to Kody.

Hmm?, he said while eating a leftover piece of pancake.

Did you have fun seeing all the animals yesterday?, I asked .

Yes!, he yelled.

You did! Alllrrriigghht!, I cooed. Well what did you see baby?, I asked.

He tried to say all the names but he ended up mimicking their sounds... typical Kody 101. But he knew how to say monkey like a pro due to a trip to the zoo that scared him for a month.

He didn't like anything monkey related that whole month and barely liked the color yellow. That was another reason why he stuck under me. I knew I should've mentioned his dislike for monkies but I couldn't think of much with a big Samoan making me give in to these feelings.

I saw monkey mama, Kody snapping me out of my thoughts.

Did you cry?, I asked.

Yes, he said in a pout.

I'm so sorry baby... mommy didn't tell them you didn't like monkies, I confessed earning a frown from him.

Why?, Kody asked.

Mommy was trying to say no about you going but everybody wanted you to go... mommy got a little frustrated that's all, I said apologizing to him.

Kody hugged my leg and returned to holding my hand. I knew he was mad that I brought it up and that I didn't mention it but that hug was a truce amongst us.

You two ready to get back home?, my dad said as we met up in the parking lot.

Yes we are, I said as we loaded up and went to the airport.

5 hours later we made it back to Florida and Kody became fussy so I held him until we landed. Once we made it to the airport, we ubered home and got back into bed. Kody was very jet lagged so I brought juice and animal crackers in my room while he slept.

I tried to sleep but nothing worked but Kody on the other hand... Out cold! So I got up and started looking through the boxes my dad left waaaay before we left for Japan. It was old high school stuff and some college things. I found Joe's Varsity jacket and it brought a lot of memories back. I found a few shot glasses that John and I use to use when things got tough during his parent's divorce.... We would climb on top of his roof and talk for hours. Lastly amongst it all, I found the apology letter that Colby wrote me about the prank that brought us together. As I read it... all the memories came back. It's like I could see images of us play out in every corner of my room. I could see prom night just as clear as day as I put Joe's jacket on and I could feel my heart flutter.