CHAPTER 30 No Means No

RUSTY'S    POV

"Akala ko ba si Daphne ang girlfriend niya?"

"Oo nga e.  Wait, is he cheating on Daphne?   Nag two two time?"

As soon as I heard their conversation, I knew I had to do somethng right away.    So, there's a rumor going around about me and Daphne.      This is what I was nervous about.    She's got some explaining to do.    

I saw Sam's reaction and I knew she believed it.       I hurriedly left to look for Daphne.      

Finally, I spotted her.     She's chatting with her friends.

"Daphne.     We need to talk."

"Oh, there you are honey."          Honey???!!!!!

"We really need to talk.      NOW."

"Oh ok.      Sorry girls, my boyfriend couldn't stand not having me around.     Isn't he the sweetest?"

I had to drag her away with me as soon as she said goodbye to her friends.   

"What is this that you're trying to play?      Were you the one who spread the rumors about you and me?"

She then dragged me to a secluded place, out of anybody's earshot........  the CR.     This particular  CR is rarely used because nobody dares to come here alone.     All because of some silly ghost stories.    

She  started talking after she made sure that we were by ourselves. 

"I couldn't help it.  I had to make it as realistic as possible.      Otherwise, my dad will find out that this isn't all true.     If that happens,   he's going to be so mad.    He might send me away to the States.    Or he could arrange me into a marriage right away with someone I don't care for.     Oh Rusty,   I need you to save me.     I was also hoping that if we keep this 'relationship',   you'd actually start having real feelings for me."

"Daphne, I'm really sorry to tell you this, but this lie cannot continue.      This has to end soon."

"Why Rusty, why?    Why can't you just like me back?    Is there something wrong with me?    Can't you see?    We're perfect for each other.    We belong in the same society." 

"No,  Daphne.    It's still a NO."

"Why?!    Don't tell me you like someone else.    Do you?!"  she asked demandingly.

I looked at her straight in the eye and said,  "YES."

She opened her mouth widely, like she's in a complete shock.

"I don't understand.      How could you like someone else that's not me?    I'm the prettiest girl in this school.     Do...do....do you like that Samotny girl?      I noticed how you look at her."

I'm surprised.    How did she know?    Was I that obvious?    Did she even know before I did?

I looked at her, took a long breath and said, " YES."