Dad pulls up at the aquatic entrance and puts the car in park. Before I can get out he turns around and says, “Good luck tonight. Don’t fall.”

            I let out a sigh of laughter. “Thanks Dad.”

            Mom slaps his arm softly before turning and smiling at me. “We love you very much and are very proud of you. See you after the ceremony. Grandma is meeting us in the stands.”

            I nod and say goodbye before getting out of the car. Scott is waiting for me by the doors in his cap and gown. “Was your mom choking up?” he asks as I walk closer.

            I chuckle, turning and waving goodbye to my parents once last time as they drive away. “Surprisingly not yet, but I bet after the ceremony she’ll start tearing up. How about your parents?”  

            “Mom was crying when she helped me with my tie.” Scott opens the door and we go inside.

            We walk down the long hallway from the aquatic center to the cafeteria. Rows of chairs are lined up with names written on notecards played on the chairs. Students are already talking with friends, some sitting in their chairs since their friends haven’t shown up yet, and others are talking to the teachers standing by who will be helping us line up correctly and making sure our attire under our gown is appropriate.

            “Hey guys,” Serena says, walking up to us. Great, just what I need right now.

            Scott smiles politely. “Hi.”   

            I look behind Scott and see Eliza coming. Thank goodness. Eliza hates Serena with a passion so hopefully Eliza will get her to back off. She struts up behind Scott, him oblivious to her behind her, and wraps her arms around him. Scott flinches before turning around and smiling.

            “Hey babe,” he says, wrapping his arms around her.

            Eliza hugs him back, resting her head on his chest. “What is she doing here?” Eliza questions when she leans away from the hug, but Scott still has his arms securely wrapped around her.

            Serena straightens her posture, her head held high. “I was just seeing how they were doing.” Then she turns to me, smiling. “Are you coming to my party tonight?”

            My eyes widen and I look at Scott and Eliza for help. “Shouldn’t you be spending tonight with your family?” I ask.

            Serena shrugs. “After the ceremony they’re going to the city for a business meeting I believe so I’m throwing a party.”

            “Well I can’t. I’m tonight spending tonight with my family,” I respond.

            I see some of her confidence diminish. “Oh, okay. How about you Scott?”

            “He has plans with me and our families,” Eliza answers for him.

            Just then Pat and Mitch walk up, both eyeing Serena suspiciously.  

            Serena smiles and asks, “Pat! Just the person I wanted to talk to.” Yeah right. “Are you going to my party tonight?”

            “I can’t,” he answers. “This has been fun though.”

            Serena glares at him before turning and walking away. Eliza starts chuckling and Pat just shrugs.