Chapter 12: Natsu vs Ilene; A Guiltless Sacrifice.

Start from the beginning

When the debris cleared, the last of the puppets were gone.

"We did it!" Wendy exclaimed happily, her hands clenched in victory.

"Geehee!" Gajeel simply replied, seeing no illusions left.

Gray sighed, collapsing to the ground, totally exhausted. "You two couldn't have done that earlier?"

Erza used her sword for support, panting heavily but otherwise unfazed. "Good plan, Carla."

The white exceed smiled confidently, floating above Wendy's head.

The blue-haired girl turned her attention to Lucy, happiness on her face. "Miss Lucy! We did it! Now we just gotta take down Ilene!"

Lucy didn't reply, standing silently.

Erza turned her attention to the blonde. "Lucy?"

"Is something wrong?" Gray asked also, Gajeel and Lily's gaze turning to the celestial mage behind him.

Lucy swayed, not responding.

"O-Oh crap!" Gray's voice exclaimed.

Lucy's body fell backward violently, and she hit the ground so hard that she bounced slightly before settling in the rubble.

"Miss Lucy!" Wendy exclaimed in horror.

"Lucy!" Erza followed.

Natsu slammed to a halt and completely turned his attention towards Lucy's fallen body, his eyes wide with alarm. "Lucy!"

"Don't turn away!"

Ilene's voice was vengeful, and she rushed at Natsu and Happy while delivering a blow that forced them flying and right into the parallel wall.

"Natsu! Happy!" Lily exclaimed.

Natsu slid to the ground, looking through his hair and over his shoulder. "Y-You alright, Happy?"

"A-Aye! I can take it!"

Ilene laughed, drawing their attention. "I may have lost the chance into making you a weapon, Natsu Dragneel, but at least that sickness will take your woman's life! In the end, you won't be able to save her!"

Fury filled Natsu as his eyes hardened into an animalistic animosity. "Shut up! I'll blow you away and then save Lucy!" he lit his fists again, but it grew into a full flame around his body, intense and bright. "And Lucy ain't my woman! Lucy is Lucy!"

He sprinted forward, Happy lifting him up and their speed creating a dull roar in the air.

"How guilty you must still feel!" Ilene laughed, blocking his attack with her crossed swords of ice. "She is in that state because she used too much magic trying to save you!"

Hesitation flashed in Natsu's eyes, but it only made him growl loudly. "I said shut up!!"

He forced Ilene back, making her feet slide against the ground and generate debris clouds at her heels.

"I'm getting real tired of you talkin' so much," Natsu snarled. "You got speed? So do I!"

"Miss Lucy! Miss Lucy!"

Lucy opened her eyes slowly, the sound of battle and Wendy's voice filtering into her ears. She looked to the side, seeing she was leaning against a fallen pile of large boulders made up of the fallen walls and pillars of the throne room. Wendy was beside her with her hands lit up as she used her healing magic, Carla accompanying, and the blue-haired girl's hands hovered over the blonde's chest. Lucy moved her gaze, seeing Natsu and Ilene fighting ahead.