33. Adam's fault

"You what?" I asked in disbelief. I thought Brian did it. Why would Brian leave so hastily if he didn't do it? Adam must of caught my thoughts, because he answered my questions.

"I told Brian. About what I did. He was just nervous that you would blame him for not telling." He spoke.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because I can."

"That's not a good answer."

"So?"

"It's not the right answer."

"Yeah, it's not."

I looked at him in shock. "Tell me why. Please! My family is falling apart. They love each other, and they are getting a divorce...." Adam slammed his hands in the table.

"I know, then when it final. I can swoop in and take the one thing I ever wanted. Your mother."

"Mom? You want mom!"

"Yes, and I still do. However, she loved your dad not me. I've disliked your dad ever sense, and I've been trying to ruin their relationship for years! And I've finally done it!"

"That's not right!"

"So? Your dad loses your mom. I get to have your mom. I know they love each other, but she can learn to love me."

I was in shock. I couldn't handle it. I rested my head in Brett's shoulder and began to weep. Brett looked at him. "How did you do it?"

Adam laughed. "It was easy. Make Cameron drunk, steal his phone. Where it was so freaking loud the voice was muffled. I could easily pretend to be her husband. Then I let the rest of it play out by its self. Bam! I win." Then he laughed some more.

"I'll just tell them! Everything you just said." I threatened.

"Yeah? But won't they think your just making up this story so they'll stay together? They won't believe you. They won't."

He was right. They won't, and I don't know how to fix this messy "Brett, we need to fix this." I told him. Brett stood up and picked me up bridal style. "Well, we cannot do anything here." He told me. "Damn right." Adam chimed in. Brett flipped he bird at Adam and turned to leave, right before we left Brett turned to face him.

"You better wish that I don't see you again. If I do, I'll make you regret everything you've ever done. You hear me, little boy?" Brett was great at threats. Adam shook and then shook his head. Brett was like twice as muscular and Adam. So, he had to be terrifying, but to me... I saw Brett as my life sized teddy bear.

Then we left without another word. Brett sat me in the car and pulled the seat belt over me. "Here, we'll figure something out." He spoke, the scooted into the drivers seat. "We'll get him." I told Brett. Brett nodded his head and smiled. I turned and looked at him. "Why are you so giddy?" I said, clearly annoyed.

Brett looked at me and showed me his phone. "I recorded him, the entire time. I recorded all the interviews, but Adams.... I was so happy that I did." He told me, and I literally could of jumped into his arms. Then we drove off, celebrating. Going to tell mom and dad the news.

*****

I go home and slam the door open to mom's room and she isn't home. I try calling her, but she isn't picking up. I call dad and he does.

"Dad!"

"Woah, no need to yell."

"I've got great news!"

"What is it?"

"I have proof that mom still loved you! And that you still love her! Now you can be together again!"

"Honey, don't go making things up!"

"Dad! I'm not, I have proof."

"Do you?" He asked sarcastically.

"Yes, come over! I'll show you."

Then I clicked off, not giving him anytime to say anything at all. I didn't let him answer. I looked at Brett, and he shook his head. "How come the bad things always happens to us?" I asked him wearily. God, I was tired I was so tired it was unbelievable.

Brett chuckled and walked towards me. He held me in his arms, and I just let go. I was tired and I didn't want to stand anymore. Brett carried me to the couch, sitting me in his lap. I laid there, as he stroked my hair. He was watching some TV show that I have never seen before, but I wasn't paying attention to it all that much.

I stayed there slowly falling asleep. Then eventually i was in a dream.

**Dream**

"Brett! But I love you!" I yelled at him, but he still shoved in his coat and grabbed his bag. "You should of said that earlier." He spook and then set is bag back down. I was hoping that he would stay but he only lectured me.

"It's all your fault. Your parent's divorce, Murphy, Chase, Brittany, and now your losing me. I can't stand you. I don't love you anymore, don't you see? I love somebody else, and there is no way you can stop me."

Then he turned to face the door but I grabbed his hand. "Brett, no. Please. This has to be a misunderstanding! You can't leave me. I'll miss you too much." I pleaded with him, but he brushed the words off as if they meant nothing.

"Go back to Adam. He can have you."

*****

I woke up and I was shaking. This whole parent thing as gone to my head. "What's wrong?" I could hear Brett's voice. I looked at him and he had panic in his eyes. I dreamt about losing him, and I can't let that happen. "Nothing, just a bad dream." I gave him a kiss and walked out. There was voices on the other side of the door.

Mom walked in with Adam. She said she had a nice time as friends, and Adam didn't seem to appreciate that word. He bent down and kissed her on the forehead, but she wiped it off. Before she could tell him off, someone coughed.

We turned and saw dad standing in the doorway, and his eyes were as cold as ice.