Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

Mira's POV

She pulled the trigger.

Frozen to the spot, I nearly missed the white streak that flew at Kate at the same time. She stumbled and her gun flew sideways as the bullet ricocheted off one of the lockers and buried itself into her leg.

Shrieking in agony, she crumbled in a heap on the floor, clutching at her blood soaked leg.

The cheerleaders stood behind her, looking at one another in bewilderment. The wolf then turned to them with a deep growl, his golden eyes turning nearly amber. The cheerleaders turned tail and fled, pushing over one another in their attempt to get away.

I felt more than saw Luke tense up in front of me when the wolf turned to face us. Then I gasped. It was the wolf that that was in my room this morning!

Thinking it was going to attack us, I shut my eyes tightly, thinking the worse. The wolf pounced, heading right towards Luke...

And its upper body balanced on Luke's chest, it wagged its tail, its tongue lolling out, just like the huge white version of your friendly neighborhood dog.

Luke stroked its fur, murmuring silently to it, and the wolf almost seemed to grin in response, its mouth slightly open, panting.

Whispering something in its ear, Luke pushed the wolf off of him and the wolf sprinted down the hallway, disappearing out the school doors.

I stood there, confused, as Luke went towards Dan (who thank god, was unhurt) and glancing at me, whispered something in his ear. Dan's eyes lit up and he nodded.

I was just about to go over there and question them about their secrecy, when the school guards finally showed up. The police crashed through the front doors of the school, and one man handcuffing Kate and taking her to the ambulance, one man came towards us, asking us to go with him.

As we headed out the doors, I saw a guy leaning on the flagpole, his head down.

Suddenly, he lifted his head.

Shunn.

No, I told myself.

Ethan.

He waved, and waving back, it only crossed my mind for a split second to wonder why he was here before the police "invited" us into their cars.

After the questioning, Dan, Luke, and I were allowed to go home. The shock of the events caused the ride home to be subdued, silent. Dan cooked up something and we all ate in silence. Walking up to my room, I immediately lay on my bed and went to sleep.

Maybe it was the stress of the events that occurred or maybe it was the appearance of the wolf, but that night, I dreamt that Shunn came into my bed, hugging me tightly, whispering his love in my ear. But when I awoke, only the smell of the summer breeze remained, and it seemed the mesmerizing purple eyes I had seen in my dream were only what they seemed to be: a dream.

"Mira..." Dan walked in.

"Hm?"

"You can sleep longer today, okay? I called in sick for you."

"What about you and Luke?"

"We're still going to school."

"Ok." I replied and closed my eyes, falling back asleep.

When I woke up again, I came face to face with golden eyes.

With a shriek, I backed up and fell off the side of the bed.