Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

Mira's POV

"How does this look, Stacey?"I twirled around in my light purple minidress. It had criss-cross straps down the back, so it was perfect for the summer heat.  

"Girl, you are going to knock them to kingdom come." Stacy whistled, "They won't even know what hit them." 

"Perfect." I grinned, "Now, your turn."  

We dressed her up, put on a slight touch of makeup, and voila! Because she was petite and gorgeous, with long blond wavy hair, we really didn't need to do much for her.

"Staceyyy, help me with my makeup!" I sat down and closed my eyes, waiting for her to start. 

She took out her huge makeup kit and set it on the bed, preparing for battle. After 5 minutes or so, she started giggling. What was up? I peeked through my eyelashes and looked at the mirror above my dresser. 

*GASP*  

"How could you, Stacey?!?!?" I whined and looked at the clown in the mirror. She had huge red lips, an albino complexion, and her eyeshadow basically went to her ears! 

I glared at Stacey while she was laughing uncontrollably.  

"Haha...I'm sorry...I couldn't resist..." She gasped for breath in between her uncontrollable fits of laughter, "I'll fix it, don't worry."  

I looked at her suspiciously before I gave in and carefully sat back down on the chair.

"Haha, okay, done!" I opened my eyes and was glad to see she didn't pull any tricks this time.  

"We're ready!" I announced to the mirror and blew a kiss. Good thing too, because it was 6:15.  

Time to make our grand entrance. 

Stacey and I looked at eachother and opened my bedroom door. Taking a deep breath, we walked down the stairs: elegant, refined.

Well, elegant until I didn't didn't notice someone's dirty sock on the stair and tripped, falling headfirst. Luckily, we were near the bottom of the stairs. I closed my eyes, ready for the pain.

But it didn't come. I opened my eyes and saw a broad chest. His arms were wrapped around me. I looked up and saw Luke. Blushing, I clambered out of his grasp and smiled.

"Thanks for saving me."  

"No problem." He said in his deep, sensual voice, his eyes focused on mine. All I could think about was how warm he felt, and I could still feel the warmth of his arms searing into my skin. 

"Well..." I said, hesitating, "Would you like to dance?" 

He blinked and glanced at me for a second before looking toward the dance floor.  

"Sure."

Luke's POV

I looked at her, and I couldn't move my eyes away. She was so beautiful, really...so beautiful, and she looked just like Lucille. They were so alike, and I was attracted to her, wanting to find Lucille in her. 

Maybe it was wrong of me, but when I saw Mira, all I saw was Lucille. Her laugh, her smile, her frown...everything reminded me of the girl I loved...the girl who was no longer alive.  

I closed my eyes, feeling Mira sway in my arms. I knew her eyes were on me, just like I knew she loved me. But I couldn't give that love back. Even 5 years after Lucille's death, I still couldn't let her go. She had become a part of me. 

I suddenly opened my eyes as the familiar pain washed over me again.

I needed a drink.

Mira's POV

He suddenly opened his closed eyes and pulled out of my arms. 

"I'm going to go get a beer." he said.  

I nodded and said, "I'm going to go find Stacey." 

I watched him walk into the kitchen and then I turned around searching for Stacey. 

Seeing her making out with a senior in a corner, I smiled and turned around, not wanting to ruin her fun. It's been 5 minutes. Maybe I should go find Luke now.

But when I reached the closed kitchen door, I heard the rising voices inside.

"Don't hurt her." It was Dan. What was he talking about?  

Curious, I pressed my ear to the door. 

"I'm not trying to." Obviously Luke. I could recognize his voice anywhere. 

"Well, stay away from her. They aren't the same." 

"Do you think I have a choice?" Luke's voice was tight, his anger evident. 

"You do. Why can't you just forget about Lucille?!? It's been 5 years! It's time to let her go!" Dan started shouting. 

"I wish I could! Then I wouldn't be in this much pain! But how do you expect me to stop loving her?!?"

I suddenly froze, and my heart cracked. Luke was in love? With Lucille? My twin who had died when we were 11? Tears streamed down my face and I turned around, heading toward the coolers outside. Now I needed to forget MY pain.

After 4 or so beers, my vision became fuzzy, but the heartache still wouldn't go away. I sat down next to the pool, dipping my legs into the water. I started hiccupping and laughing. It was so ironic. How I loved him, and he loved my twin. Shaking my head, I took another drink out of the beer in my hand.

Suddenly, a huge surge of pain swept through my heart, and I blacked out. The last thing I remembered was the cold pool water rushing to meet me.

Luke's POV

She was so stupid. I brushed her hair from her face. How could she fall into the pool? I couldn't imagine what would've happened if I weren't there.  

I had saved her from the pool, even though I was kind of drunk myself, and had taken her to her room. I still didn't know whether I should take off her clothes or not. I was hoping she would somehow wake up and save me from this decision.  

"Unh..." Mira groaned and turned around on her bed, her hair fanning out, her makeup washed off from the pool water.  

I brushed her hair from her face and smiled. I always thought she was prettiest without makeup.

Mira's POV

I felt warmth all around me. Ugh...it was so hot. Without bothering to sit up, I started unhooking the hooks on the side of my dress. I needed to cool down. Pulling my dress down, I wiggled it off my hips and threw it to the other side of my room. I would take care of it tomorrow.  

Suddenly, I heard a sharp intake of breath on the side of my bed, and I opened my eyes, my vision dazed.

Was that Luke? I reached out my hand to touch his face, caressing his cheek. i wanted to be his, even if I couldn't in his heart. I wanted to give him anything I could give. Including my first time. Maybe, just maybe, he would love me back.

Pulling him towards me, I crushed my lips against his.