Chapter 10: A Guilt Soul Deep

Start from the beginning

Apologizing in advance, Wendy swung her fist forward, knocking the first guard to the ground and putting him out cold with just one swing. Carla guarded the door in her human form, making sure no one could escape as Wendy went after the remaining guards. When they finished with that tower, they went to the next, making sure to keep an eye on the ground.

"Looks like Wendy is okay," Gray murmured, turning to Erza. "It's our turn I guess."

The requip mage nodded. "Let's go."

They had moved themselves down to the foliage near the entrance of Ilene's hideout, while Gajeel and Lucy remained at the top of the hidden ravine where everyone had previously gathered.

"Erza and Gray are moving," Lucy murmured to Gajeel, her voice serious.

"Let's get ready then, Lucy," Panther Lily observed.

Erza and Gray took opposite sides. They were on the left side in the forest shadows, next to a dirt road that led up to the gate entrance. Gray crouched and prepared to lunge for the guards all along the right side of the front perimeter, while Erza readied herself to knock out all the men to the left side of the gate.

"Ready, Gray?"

"Absolutely."

Together they jumped from the foliage and out into the sunlight, moving so quickly at first Lucy didn't notice they had started their attack. Erza saw the ones with the same bow and arrows that depleted magic, and she took them out first. More cautious about them, Gray did the same, making sure the same mistake didn't happen twice. Erza couldn't tell the number of them, but there were many; they would only increase once Ilene figured out that they were there.

Meanwhile, Wendy landed back next to Lucy and Gajeel. "Are we ready?"

"Yeah!" Lucy exclaimed.

As three, the group were carried by their exceeds and past the gate Gray broke open with his ice magic.

"Thank you Erza, Gray!" Lucy called, the trio flying inside quickly.

Erza smiled at them as she pressed her foot on top of an unconscious guard, afterwards turning to Gray. "Let's finish up here and join them."

"Sounds good to me," the ice mage replied, in the middle of holding onto a guard by his collar.

Gajeel shattered the wood door of the front entrance, Lucy and Wendy shielding their faces from the shower of debris.

When the dust settled, guards were waiting for them.

"There's more!" Lucy exclaimed, instinctively reaching for her keys.

"No, Miss Lucy!" Wendy denied, stopping next to the blonde in the air. "You can't use your magic!"

Lucy's hand clenched into a fist above her keys, shaking slightly.

"Iron Dragon's Roar!"

Gajeel dropped down to the ground, Lily also transforming into his battle form. "Blondie, you and Wendy keep going! I've got it here!"

"Thank you Gajeel!" Wendy exclaimed, her gaze moving to Lucy. "Let's keep going!"

"R-Right!"

The pair disappeared up the grand staircase, the exceeds still carrying them.

"Which way should we go?" Happy exclaimed as they flew up to the second floor.

"We should—" Lucy began, only to cry out in surprise as a bright light appeared suddenly.