20 | Broken Promises

Start from the beginning

"When does he come home?" Brittany asked.

"In one week. I literally cannot wait," I said, smiling at the server who had just set my food down in front of me.

"She's not lying," Jessica piped up, and I rolled my eyes in her direction. "She's been like the damn Energizer bunny for days now."

"Hey, I can't help it if I want the place to look perfect," I countered.

Parker leaned across the table and whispered, "Wanna know a secret, Rach?"

I crossed my arms playfully over my chest and cocked my head to the side. "What's the secret, Park?"

"The only thing Miles is going to care about when he gets home is seeing your face... and the rest of you. And whether or not your bed is cleared for entry," he added with a wink.

I looked at him and snorted, and everyone else started to laugh.

"Okay," I said between giggles. "Fair enough."

"I tried to tell her that!" Jessica protested.

"You did, you did... and I hear you... No more cleaning. I promise," I said, holding up my first three fingers in a Girl Scout salute.

"Thank God," Parker sighed in relief. "I've been terrified to step foot on the carpet."

Panama City Beach, Florida

Luke

"Brooke, you haven't told Rachel what Miles told us, right?" I asked as I climbed into bed

"Of course not! But it's been killing me. I'm no good at secrets, you know," she said, sliding under the covers and snuggling against me.

"No shit," I joked, kissing the top of her head and turning over on my side.

"Ha-Ha," she said sarcastically. "When is he going to tell her?"

"He said he'd tell her when he got home – that he just couldn't do it over the phone," I said, clicking the lamp off, plunging the room into darkness.

"I guess that makes sense." Brooke sighed. "She's going to be devastated."

I nodded, even though Brooke couldn't see me in the dark. "I don't want to be around when he tells her, although I think we will probably be able to hear her scream from here."

Brooke laughed, then I felt her shift next to me and run her fingers down my arm. I shivered under her touch.

"What're you doing, B?" I whispered.

"You haven't touched me in weeks, Luke," she responded in the same low voice as mine.

I turned over to face her and put my hand on her cheek. "That's not true."

Cocking her head to the side, she leaned into my hand. "You know what I mean, Luke. I've been trying to ignore it, but I can't anymore."

I did know what she meant. "Brooke... I don't – I don't want to hurt you."

She shook her head in exasperation. "Luke. You're not going to hurt me. I promise. I even asked Dr. Young at my last appointment."

I smiled and brought her face to mine, kissing her gently. "All right, Kane. You've done your research... I can't argue with a doctor."

She grinned and pushed me on my back, climbing on top of me with one leg on either side of my lap, bending down to kiss my neck. I leaned my head back against the headboard and realized how much I'd missed her touch.

Fort Leonard Wood - Missouri 

Miles

"And you're sure there's no way I can get a new assignment?" I asked Sergeant Harris, knowing full well that the answer would be no.

"I'm sorry, Miles. There is nothing I can do. On January 1, you will be on a plane headed to Iraq. You'll be there for a year, with one two-week R&R in the middle of your tour," he answered, and I could tell he actually did feel a little bit sorry for me. "I know you're engaged, and your brother's girlfriend is having a baby. But Miles, you knew this was a possibility when you enlisted. I know Staff Sergeant Riggs had this conversation with you."

I nodded reluctantly. "He did. I just... I always believed it would work out and I wouldn't have to go overseas – that was the original expectation before I came to boot camp. Because of that, I had to really get used to the idea of being deployed a little late ... and I don't think Rachel ever did," I admitted.

Sergeant Harris nodded. "I understand that. Believe me, I do. I have a love of my own, and she didn't like it when I was deployed. But it's only for a year, Miles. You can make a decision after that. There are jobs you can do in the reserves with the Corps of Engineers. I can help you with a transfer. But you have to get through this year. And it'll go by fast," he assured me.

I nodded. 'Thank you for hearing me out, Sergeant." I stood up and saluted, then made my way back to the barracks.

I just had to face facts: in less than a week, I'd have to look at Rachel, the love of my life, my everything... and break a promise I'd made.

A promise I'd had no business making in the first place.