Roman (Ch.9)

"I'm going to step out so..."

"Uh, Yeah ok. Virgil." I looked over to see Virgil leave out the back door. I would be stupid to have not noticed the stress he's in. He's not even explaining it. But... Right now I have to be he for Deceit. Damn guy making himself out to be the bad guy. He's just like Virgil. I should have seen it. He's practically my damn twin, we were born the same day. Stop... That has nothing to do with this... I'm just so pissed at myself! I did the same thing with Virgil when he came back. He hid himself behind this mask and painted himself as the villain. Even went so far as to act like he enjoyed it all in the first video he ever took part in. The same video that Thomas made to try and get rid of Virgil. All that time I treated him like he was this horrible person because that's what I thought he had become. And when I met Deceit, I treated him no different. I never thought to think he would be lying... Funny that huh. Deceit lying, who would have ever thought that. 

Now here we are. Deceits in his own little hell after risking his life for Thomas. The same guy who I thought was the worst person ever. I thought he didn't care about anyone. I thought he was better off going back to whatever hole he slithered out of. I am such a horrid person. I let what he said get to me without even thinking. Of course, he would be lying. 

He left his home, his sister, His life to come and help Thomas. As much as I would love to say he had no choice, he did. We all did. No side has to join Thomas. No side has to move into the mind palace and spend there waking moments being a side of Thomas. Yes, it is determined at birth, Who is a side and which one they are, but you decide if you want that job. Yes, no one can take your place, but it's still your decision. He left everything he knew to join us, and all we gave him was emotional hell. No wonder he never told us any truth. Virgil was the only one that ever spoke to him. He was the only one that saw the real him. That was kind to him and never got mad. He didn't even get mad at him when he kidnapped Patton and now I don't even believe he did that.

"Emma... right?" I needed to know... I need to know who this was. I need to know the real him.

"Yes. And you're Roman correct? I've heard so much about you guys from my brother letters." I cringed. I'd hate to think of all the awful things she read about me. "Don't worry they were all good?" Wait, what?

"He wrote about us?" She smiled and went and grabbed some paper from a shelf.

"He would send one every chance he got. You see each base specializes in something. The northern base was more... Well, it was Glinda base, she believes that each person was different and that they shouldn't be forced into one overall specialty. The Western base was nightmare control. They specialize in offensive and defensive magic to help keep the hollow at bay. We of the Eastern base specialize in Knowlege and espionage. My Brother here is the best spy out of all of us." She glances over at Deceit who was being looked at by several healers and doctors. There really isn't much we know about any of this.

"But the Southern base has that huge library." Patton climbed up. He looked just as confused as I was. Meanwhile, Logan just looked bored. I know that's just a mask though. Logan cares about us all and seeing Deceit like that must be really getting to him. He hasn't looked away since we got here.

"You know of it?"

"Uh, Yeah I went there often to read about... um well." He raised his hand to show a small seed. He really does always keep on on him. He closed his hand and we all watched as green plants sprouted through the cracks, wrapping around his hand until it looked like a glove. A single flower blooming in the center of his now open palm. If this was his magic trick he spoke of that is just...

"AMAZING!" We all just stared at Emma, who was now jumping up and down in excitement. "Your an elemental. Well, there's some information we didn't have before. Do the rest of you have..."

"Dreamer. Though not a big fan of the name." I say as I point to myself. Her smile just lights up as she dances around the room obviously excited about this new information. Don't know why though.

"What about you?" We all glance at Logan, but he wasn't paying attention. He was watching everyone working on Deceit. "Logan?"

"Huh, What?" He finally turned to look at us. He was definitely worried. Were all younger brothers to him... Well besides Patton. He can't be taking this too well.

"Roman and Patton have just told me they have magik, I was wondering if..."

"Oh yeah, uh. Mind magician. Uh what's it called... uh, linked or whatever..."

"You're a bonded Mind magician? With who if you don't mind me asking." Patton raised his hand and the poor girl practically exploded. "This is so cool. Every Sanders side is a mage. My brother and Virgil weren't the only ones."

She looked more relieved than anything. I guess she really cares for her brother. I really wish I knew what he wrote in the letters. I really don't understand how any of it could be good let alone all. Unless he lied in the letters. That's probably what he did. 

"Stop!" Out of nowhere, there was his scream. I ran out the back to where I knew Virgil had gone and I froze. Just as I opened the door I saw the hooded man from earlier put his hand on Virgil. I watched as he made Virgil disappear in a cloud of smoke. The man frowned when he saw me. He looked down at my sword and I swear I heard him growl.

"You can't kill him now. I'll never let you."