All hell breaks loose

Larkin

After that night, I wasn't sleeping at all. I would use any means to stay awake. It was also affecting my eating. I can eat like there is no tomorrow and have a hard time gaining weight. Lyric and I had a metabolic disorder.

The problem was between pills and coffee; I was fighting not to sleep, which resulted in me not eating. Every time I closed my eyes, a new nightmare would happen. It always resulted in Maverick, and me breaking up, and it terrified me.

That was until my worst fear and nightmare came true. Because of the lack of sleep, pills, and not eating, I kept snapping at Maverick until finally, he had enough, ending things with me.

I was a mess. My grades were dropping, and all I could do was cry. My siblings tried to help, but it didn't matter. No one could help me. That's when they called for help.

I shuffled through papers when I heard a knock at my door. I didn't bother to answer it and needed to keep busy. The door opened.

"Lark," I heard Dad say.

"Oh, hey," I smiled.

Dad and Nix stood there.

"I'm just looking for an assignment. I know I put it here somewhere," I said as I looked through my things.

"Larkin," Dad said to me.

"Oh, here it is," I said, pulling out a paper. "Can you look at it and tell me if it's good?"

They took the paper and looked at it. It was nothing but scribbles. Nixon and Dad looked at it, then at me.

"Is it good?" I asked, wanting their approval.

"Lark," Nix said.

I took the paper from them. "Yeah, it's terrible. I knew it was bad. Just another thing to add to everything I'm terrible at," I said, trying to keep my composure.

"Larkin, when's the last time you slept?" Dad asked me.

"Oh no, I can't sleep. See, if I sleep, then it comes," I whispered.

"What comes, sweetie?" Nix asked.

"The evil; It comes and takes Maverick away, but then again it did," I shrugged.

They stood there and looked at me with furrowed brows.

"See, I knew Maverick would tire of me. I was right. So ha! I told Lyric, but she kept saying to give him a chance. I did, and it still blew up in my face. Well, now everyone can leave me alone," I said as they moved towards me.

I backed away as they got closer.

"You can't make me love anyone. I refuse," I yelled as Dad grabbed me. I fought him, but he held on tight as I struggled in his arms until I quit fighting.

"Why won't he love me? Is it because I'm damaged," I asked as I started to cry.

"Oh, baby girl, I think he still loves you, but right now, you need help," Dad whispered as I cried. Nixon rubbed my back, offering comfort to me.

After many tears and talking, they persuaded me to go home. I would finish out the semester with an incomplete in my classes, FML.

They helped me pack, and once I had a couple of bags packed; They took the bags out of the room. I walked out of the room and saw everyone downstairs. I walked down the stairs following behind with Dad and Nixon.

My siblings and cousins, along with the Harpers except for Maverick, were standing there. They watched as I walked out of the house behind Dad and Nixon and got into Dad's car.

I looked out the car window as they watched us pull away. I placed my hand on the window as they all waved, and I saw my sisters and Lex look at me heartbroken.

"Baby girl, it will be okay," Dad reassured me as I sat back. I wanted to believe that, but I wasn't so sure.

We pulled up to a hospital. I knew what this meant. I've been through it before. We got out of the car and walked inside. Dad filled out some forms, and once he finishes, I gave him and Nixon a hug.

A nurse leads me to a room as I set my stuff down and looked around. I was so tired. They brought me something to help me sleep. I took it and promptly fell asleep in my clothes.

It didn't take long before I had a nightmare. The staff subdued me and ended up strapping me down. The team gave me something to make me sleep. More and more horrors happened, but I needed sleep.

Then I got a visit from Jordan. He took over my case and offered something I wasn't getting here, compassion.

He worked with me to help me work through the nightmares. We also talked about everything that was going on in my life. He ended up prescribing me anti-anxiety medicine. He said it should help calm me a bit.

His therapies helped me understand what sets off my triggers and how to cope effectively with them.

It also limited me to visitors. Jordan felt it would help better with my therapies if we kept a minimum of people from visiting. I had to agree, fewer distractions.

My parents and Nixon came to visit me. When I saw them enter the visitor's room, I hugged them all. They filled me on what was going on at home and back at school.

"How's Maverick?" I asked, hopefully.

"He's good from what everyone tells me," Dad answered.

"Oh," I said, not wanting to press for more information.

"Larkin," he said.

"It's fine. I doubt that Maverick's thinking about me. I mean, who wants to date a nut job." I shrugged and faking a smile.

"Honey, I'm sure things will work out," Ma assured me.

"I doubt it. Maybe it's time to move on. I was so much better off with not dating anyone. It's fewer headaches. I mean, then Dad wouldn't have to worry," I said, acting casual about it.

"Lark," Nixon said.

"It's fine. I mean, who wants to date someone damaged, right?" I asked, trying not to break.

They all looked at me with concern.

"I'll focus on getting better and trying to make up the classes that I missed. I figure if I double up, then I can still graduate on time. Don't worry about me. I will be fine," I said, trying to convince myself.

The thing about trying to convince yourself that you're okay without someone is you aren't. I missed Maverick terribly, but it didn't matter. It damaged me, and I knew it. I focused on getting better, so I could go home for Christmas, at least.

Over the next few weeks, I got better and could go home, thank god. I hated hospitals. Dad and Ma picked me up and brought me back after they released me. Everyone was arriving in a few days.

I went to my room when I got home. I sat on my bed, fiddling my thumbs. I didn't know what to do with myself. I looked at my phone and tempted to call Maverick, but I didn't.

Screw it. I dialed Maverick's number, and the minute I heard his voice, I promptly hung up. Stupid, stupid, stupid, he doesn't want to talk to you. He broke up with you. He probably has some girl now.

That thought burned me. My phone rang, and Maverick's name showed up on caller ID. I answered it.

"You are a freaking tool! I can't believe you moved on that fast! You suck monkey balls!" I yelled, then hung up, tool. I would get some food.

"Well," Michael asked.

"I'm in love with a nut," Maverick sighed.

"Well, you go get her, tool," Lakin huffed.

"Oh, I will get her all right, but I got a plan," Maverick grinned.

Michael looked at Major. "Why do I have a feeling this will blow up in our faces?"

"Because it's Maverick. Everything blows up in our faces," Major said emphatically.

Maverick put something in motion and enlisted help. Considering it was me. Good luck, Maverick, you would need it.