Taking it easy

Lyric

The night of homecoming, I ended up staying the night at Michael's place. It exhausted me, and he wanted to make sure I ate something. The day had taken an emotional toll on me, but it usually does when people set out to make your life harder than it needs to be. The question was, do you let it?

After eating, I laid down in his bed, trying not to overthink everything which I had a habit of doing. No matter what you do, there will always be that one person who thinks less of you. There still is.

Being a Gray comes with the territory of being judged. The difference was that we rarely cared about what people thought. That's what bothered them the most is the fact who we are. We didn't have to prove anything to anyone.

As I laid there in my thoughts, Michael laid down next to me. "What are you thinking?"

"How callous people can be," I said to him.

"There will always be those insensitive people out there that are so miserable that they would rather try to make other people miserable. Instead of fixing what's wrong with them, they would rather focus on other people's faults," he explained.

"It's a shame, isn't it?" I asked him.

"Not really because most people that are miserable end up alone and miserable. I prefer to be happy," he smiled, which made me laugh. Michael had an interesting perspective on things.

He pulled me to him and kissed me sweetly as he deepened it. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I kissed him back, but we stopped before it went further. I wasn't ready yet.

The last person I had been intimate with on that level was Daniel. It's a little hard to shift gears to another person once you had been with someone like that. For me, it was at least.

I rubbed his cheek with my thumb as I held it in my hand. We stared into each other's eyes, holding the gaze between us.

"I'm sorry, Michael. I'm just not ready yet," I apologized.

"Don't be sorry, Lyric. When you're ready, you will let me know. What kind of guy would I be if I forced you before you were ready?" Michael asked.

"A foolish one?" I shrugged as he rolled his eyes. I couldn't help but laugh as he pulled me to him.

I cuddled into him and drifted off to sleep. I needed rest. Within minutes, I was out.

I stirred and opened my eyes to find Michael gone. I looked at the clock, and my eyes widened. One in the afternoon! What the hell?

I grabbed my phone and had thirty-seven missed phone calls, fifty text messages, and a few unsavory voicemails from all my siblings and Frick and Frack.

Who do I call first? Let's see who will not give me a tough time? Nope, nope, nope, nope, I thought as I scrolled through my phone. It screwed me on who to call except one person who rarely says much. Yep, I'm calling that person.

I dialed a number. The person picked up after the first ring.

Hello?

"It's me. I ended up spending the night at Michael's house, and when we got back and just woke up," I rambled.

Did anything happen?

"What? No! Come on! What kind of girl do you think I am?" I exclaimed.

Do you want me to answer that?

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," I said sarcastically.

It's no problem, Lyric.

"You're a real twit; you know that?"