Fallout

Maverick

I lay there on Marshall's bed, feeling numb. I know this because I'm learning it. I also know what to do when things like this happen, yet I did the opposite.

I didn't want to see anyone but knew I needed someone. I just couldn't right now. While I lay there staring at the wall. I heard voices. I didn't get up to see who it was.

Nixon and the others walked in. "Where is he?" Nixon asked.

"Upstairs," Kain said, pointing to the second floor.

"Stay here," he told the others as he went upstairs. He knocked, and there's no answer, then opened it. He walked in and closed the door.

"Maverick?" Nixon asked.

"What?" I whispered.

"Talk to me," Nixon said.

"What's there to say? I deserve this," I reasoned, staring at the wall.

Nixon furrowed his brows. "Why on earth do you think you deserve this?"

I turned and faced him, "Because I do."

He walked over to me as I sat up. I was so sore. He wrapped his arms around me, and that's when I broke. I cried as I held on tight to him. I missed my dad.

"Shh, I got you," Nixon comforted me.

"Why? Why me?" I sobbed.

"Because they're animals. It's not your fault. You didn't deserve this," Nixon reassured me.

I couldn't help but feel like it was. If I hadn't gotten into that fight with Michael and left, I wouldn't have put myself in that position.

"Maverick, I know you blame yourself, but trust me, you did nothing wrong. They were targeting you," he reasoned.

I buried my head into him.

"Does your family know?" Nixon asked.

"No," I said with a muffled sound.

"They need to know," Nixon explained.

My head snapped up. "No," I exclaimed.

"Maverick, look, I know you don't want them to know, but they need to know. If you don't tell them, I will," Nixon told me.

"You can't, not if you are a minister," I retorted.

"Oh no! You are not using my job against me! Not this time," he huffed.

"I thought it was fair," I shrugged.

"And I think you need serious help. Look, I get it. But I can't in good conscience allow this to happen. Now take it easy. I will be back," Nixon said, releasing me and getting up. He left the room and closed the door.

He walked downstairs to the others.

"Well," Nash asked.

"This is a freaking mess, but we need to talk to Michael," he sighed. Nash and Nixon left while Nathan, Noah, and Nolan stayed.

"How bad is it?" Nathan asked his boys.

"Its bad, Dad. We don't know what they did, but they used something on him. I found traces," Murphy told him.

"All right, go get him. He needs a hospital. You may be premed, but he needs a professional," Nathan advised.

Murphy nodded as Noah said to Nolan, "Let's go."

"Where are we going?" Nolan asked.

"To talk to Larkin," he said as he walked out of the house as Nolan trailed behind him.