❝ i just wanna be by your side ❞ [part two]

Start from the beginning

I glanced at him. "So we'll be going now-"

"Not so fast," he said. "I have a couple questions to ask Ashton."

I stared at him. "What were you guys talking about before?"

"The case," He replied.

"And the World Cup," Ashton supplied.

I blinked. "You couldn't have asked before talking about that?"

"Of course not," Kaden said, giving me an almost offended look, though he looked a little too much like he was enjoying this to truly pull it off. "I wanted you to be here."

"Why?" I demanded. This wasn't how it was like in books and movies. Usually the girl was there by accident, not because her dad had waited for her to start asking the questions.

"So you would get embarrassed by hearing the questions and he would get embarrassed knowing you'll hear the answers." Kaden grinned. "It's like a double bonus!"

I stared at him. "You sound like Satan."

"Ouch." He didn't sound hurt at all.

"You do sound a little sadistic, darling," Raine said, though you could tell from the tone of her voice that she found this amusing.

He shrugged. "It is a basic right for a father to ask his daughter's boyfriend about his intentions."

I blinked. I wasn't sure what was more surprising, the fact that he had called Ashton my boyfriend or himself my father. Not that Kaden or Raine had ever made me feel like we weren't family or anything like that- we had just never really talked about it. I guess they hadn't felt like they should ask when I first came to them after the accident, and after that, well, we had simply never discussed it.

Kaden turned to Ashton. "What are your intentions with Elena?"

"To get to know her better," he answered.

Kaden raised an eyebrow. "And pursue her romantically?"

Ashton hesitated. "Yes."

"You should've said that," Kaden told him flatly.

I groaned. "Kaden." Ashton hadn't ran before, but that had been because Kaden hadn't started asking. He still could, and I wouldn't blame him.

Kaden ignored me. "Do you have any STIs?"

I gaped at him. "Please don't do this."

"No," Ashton said.

"Do you have proof of that?" Like a report? Who carries that around? It was such a ridiculous request that I wasn't sure whether or not Kaden was being serious. A glance at Ashton told me he was thinking the same thing.

"Okay, we're done here," I interrupted, before Kaden could ask something worse. I wasn't sure what could be worse, but knowing Kaden, he would probably find something. Or he already had something in mind. I grabbed Ashton's arm, pulling him towards the door.

"Have her back by midnight!" Kaden called. Thankfully, that was all he said.

I froze when I stepped out of the house. "Holy shit." I turned to stare at Ashton, eyebrow raised. "A limo?" I asked.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah. Too much?"

"I'm sure there's gonna be people showing up in horse drawn carriages and helicopters," I said. "I was just surprised, that's all."

The driver upon seeing us, got out of the car and opened the back door, then closed it once we were inside and made his way back up to the front. "Sorry about Kaden," I told Ashton once we were on the road.