Chapter Twenty | The Chance

WHICH NEVER HAPPENED, because suddenly two white slits popped open, cutting sharply through the dark, and a black mass launched itself straight at me.

With a shout, I fell back onto the hard concrete of the roof. The wind was knocked out of me as I desperately reached for my gun, my fingers barely grazing the black metal before the figure fell on top of me.

I finally released my gun from the holster and held it up to what I hoped was the head of the dark mass, and was about to pull the trigger when something sharp was pressed against my neck.

Since when did Clayface use weapons?

Suddenly a bright light was flashed in my face, illuminating the space in between me and the mysterious figure. Pale skin, thin lips, red hair?

"Roy!" I shouted, using my legs to toss him off of me.

As he landed roughly next to me, the sharp thing nicked the skin on my neck. I hissed in pain, my hand slapping onto the cut. I pulled it away to find a small amount of blood on my fingertips.

"Blackout?" He questioned, switching the flashlight he held in his hand off.

My eyes attempted to adjust to the sudden darkness and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I thought you were Clayface!"

He groaned, pushing himself up and tucking the arrow back into his quiver.

"I thought you were Clayface."

The archer offered me a hand which I begrudgingly took.

"I almost killed you!" I complained, putting my gun back into the holster on my leg.

He didn't have a chance to respond before a cheery voice rang out behind us.

"Speedy! My boy!" Kid said excitedly as he ran over to us, slinging an arm around the older boys' shoulder.

"It's Red Arrow now," Roy glared, shrugging his arm off.

"Riighht," I hummed, "anyways, why the hell are you here? Last time I checked you weren't invited to the party."

"Word on the street is that Clayface has finally come out of hiding again— I was in the area, figured I'd check it out," the archer explained.

Artemis finally decided to speak up, gesturing her arms widely. "Okay, well, thanks for the help, but as you can see, we have it covered."

"Because what I just heard was so 'having it covered.'"

Hey, Squidkid, false alarm.

Hello?

"Hey, do any of you hear me?" I asked, looking up to Blondie and Kid, the former of which paused their pre-argument glare competition with Roy.

"Just because I don't pay attention doesn't mean I'm deaf!" Kid suddenly yelled.

I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "Wha—? No, like, in your mind. Remember? Secret relationships?"