Chapter Six | The Escape

I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE would do something to Artemis! I swear I'm going to kill herー well, not actually, since Bruce would probably ground me for life and afterー but I swear I'm going to metaphorically kill her if she hurt one of my teammates! Meanwhile, Wally was currently freaking out. I wanted to scoff, since he looked like he was about to pull out his hair. 'Oh come on, Rob, I so don't like Artemis!'  Smh. Yeah right.

"What do you think happened to her? What if she's being tortured?! Or what ifー"

"Hey Kid Mouth, we're all worried too! But we need to be calm, so shut up or so help meー" I started but was quickly cut off by M'gann.

"Artemis!" she squealed as she flew down the hallway to the apparent archer.

"Oh, hey guys. How'd the interrogation thing go?" Artemis asked, popping a chip into her mouth from the bag she was holding.

"We had to stop it because you got captured!" Wally exclaimed.

A confused look washed over her face. "Captured? Um, I was just at the target range."

"But Blackout said she hired someone to do something to you!" Wally said.

Artemis shook her head, munching on some more chips. "I've been in here the entire time, haven't seen anyone."

I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion, now mirroring Artemis and the rest of the team. Why would she say?ーoh shoot.

"She tricked us!" I yelled, turning around and sprinting back down the hall towards the interrogation room. My heart pounded, feet echoing across the floor as I heard everyone following me. How was I tricked by her again? How could I have been so stupid? She's probably halfway across the world by now!

Wally suddenly zipped ahead of me, disappearing around the corner and into the room. I ran in a few moments after, only to see my worse fear had come true. She was gone. I groaned and put my head in my hands as the rest of the team started to pile in the room.

"Batman's gonna kill me," I muttered.

Brielle's POV

I treaded lightly down the hall, careful not to trip any alarms. I just needed to get to wherever they kept their files, find the prints of this place, and get out. All while an entire team of trained sidekicks and Batman and Superman were looking for me. Piece of cake, right?

I searched room after room, knowing that Squidkid and his team would have figured out that I was gone by now. The more I thought about the situation I was in, I inwardly sighed. On second thought, maybe I was a teensy bit in over my head.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of snoring. On high alert, I peered around the corner and into what looked like a library. In there was the biggest dog I had ever seen. Almost like a wolf; it was pure white and had fangs the size of my knives. It slept peacefully on the carpet by the fireplace blocking any possible way out.

Well, I can't go back the way I came, since there was no way out and the team would be following me. And the only door was on the other side of the room, meaning I had to pass the giant beast.

I took a deep breath and hoped my training would be enough to sneak past undetected. I put one foot out the door, looking up to make sure it was still asleep. I took another step, the wood under my foot creaking slightly. The dogs ear twitched, but he stayed asleep.

My confidence slowly grew with every step I took; at one point I even thought of doing a backflip. (Okay, not really, because I'm not that stupid. I needed to make a point, alright?) I was about ten feet from the door when I decided to pick up the pace. Ten feet was all I needed to make it home safe.. well, safer.