Chapter 23

When they broke apart for air, they did not move from the same position they were in. 

"Riley, I think I'm falling in love with you," Peter said, quietly. 

"I think I'm falling in love with you too, Peter." 

"Thank god," Peter said. Riley laughed and gave him the biggest hug she's ever given someone. 

"How long have you felt like this?" she asked him.

"Well, I've had a crush on you probably since I first met you. And I never thought of it more than a crush until the explosion on the building," Peter said.

"Well, I'm sorry for making you wait so long," she said, giving him a weak smile.

"If I had to wait for you for a million years, I would," Peter said. 

"God, why did I not do this sooner," Riley said, laughing a little. 

"It's okay. All that matters is now," he said. After a while, they left the top of the building and ended up on Peter's couch again.

"Was it some sort of slow-motion, love at first sight moment?" Riley asked.

"You could say it was something like that," Peter said. "I-I just can't believe that this is real. That we are actually together."

Riley smiled at him. "You know, you never actually asked me out," she said to him.

Peter swallowed and looked down at her. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course I will," she said, kissing him on the cheek, which made him smile.

"Riley?" Pepper called from outside the door. Riley and Peter jumped off of each other.

"What is she doing up here?" Peter asked.

"My dad is going to kill me," Riley said. 

Peter opened his door and they both walked out. "Riley, it's 10:15, I called you 15 minutes ago. Why didn't you answer?"

Riley got up from the couch and opened the door. 

"Oh, OH!" Pepper said. "Oh my gosh. Don't worry I won't tell your dad. He would kill you. And me."

"I-I just didn't have my phone on me," Riley said.

"Okay, sureee. Grab your stuff and let's go," Pepper said. 

When they left, Riley wanted to kiss Peter goodbye but didn't since Pepper was standing right there.

"So, were you guys careful?" Pepper asked when they were in the car.

"What? No!" Riley said. "We didn't...oh my god, I can't believe you thought we..."

"Oh, well then what happened?" Pepper asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"We just kissed, Pepper," Riley said, hiding her face.

"Oh, so, I could tell your father," Pepper said. Riley's eyes bugged out fo her head. "I'm kidding, I won't tell him, but he's going to find out sooner or later."

"I know," Riley said, sighing.

****

The next day at school, Riley sat down next to Peter at the beginning of first period and smiled. "Hey," she said.

"Hi." Then, they silently listened to the teacher in class. When lunch approached, Riley wasn't entirely sure what to do. If she switched tables, it would cause a riot, so she just decided to stay with the Queen Bees.