Chapter 9

HOURS EARLIER:

Peter saw her look in his direction and his eyes widened. He began to climb up the beam he was hiding behind, hoping it was sturdy enough, as she started to make his way over to him. He increased his speed and began to hang upside down from the middle of the bridge. The girl looked behind the beam and then looked up. It was fairly dark and there was no way she could have seen him. He heard something move below him and his gaze shifted there, so did hers. Immediately, her hand shot purple sparks towards whatever moved. It briefly lit up the place where he was, hopefully, she didn't see him.

What she hit appeared to be a pigeon and when he shifted his gaze down, it was no longer there, he could see that the pigeon appeared to have vanished. Holy shit, I need to get the hell out of here. I should tell Tony about this. But where did it go? Peter made his way very quietly to the other side of the beam when the girl went back to leave. She was smart. Typically, the bad guy, in this case, girl, would continue what they were doing without a care in the world. Peter safely made it to the ground and made his way over to Tony's. Even though it was an hour drive away, Peter got there in 30 minutes. Guess since there was no traffic.

When he got to Tony's place he was about to knock on the door and then he remembered. Riley. What if she answers the door? What would I do? I'm in complete uniform. He knocked on the door anyway. There was no answer. He looked up at the window and there was a light on. He knocked one more time. Then, a woman answered the door. "Hi, sorry Mr. Stark isn't here but if you want I can-Peter Parker, what are you doing here? It's really late. I haven't seen you in a year."

"I-I need to talk to Mr. Stark, it's urgent. I think I've found something. Something big," Peter says. "Where is he?"

Pepper started explaining. "He went to go pick up his daughter from the party."

"Oh, crap," Peter said. "So, she could come home any minute now."

"Yeah, I'll get you a change of clothes or something, so she doesn't know it's you," Pepper said, going along with Tony's plan for Riley and Peter. "Best to keep your identity a secret from her."

"Oh, uh, I have a pair in my backpack, I'll be fine," Peter told her. He didn't want to step right into their house because that would be plain rude.

"The bathroom is the first door on the left down the middle hallway," Pepper told him, ushering him inside quickly. When Peter entered the house, it was extremely modern and very big. He couldn't imagine how weird it must have been to Riley to go from this kind of luxury to Midtown. Peter started walking down the hallway and got changed in the bathroom. He peeked out the window to see if he could see their car, but he saw the ocean instead. It was a breathtaking view. When he exited, Pepper was nowhere to be found. Their house was so big, he honestly didn't know where to go.

"Peter, come with me, I'll show you to Mr. Stark's office," Pepper said, appearing out of nowhere, leading him down a flight of stairs in the middle of the left hallway. He made sure to make note of the location. Tony obviously had a much more formal office in the Avengers Tower, but this one was just as nice.

Then, he waited. When Tony finally came down, he looked at the boy in shock. "Peter, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I saw something, someone, Mr. Stark. She had black hair and some sort of powers, it was really crazy," Peter hastily explained.

"Well, that's a pretty vague description. How, when, and where did you stumble upon this person?" Tony asked, taking a notepad out of his desk.

"Well, I wanted to leave the party early because it was boring, and I was about to-"