Chapter 17

Riley and Peter were eating cookies when Aunt May walked in. "Thank God, you kids are safe, I was worried sick, Peter weren't you getting my texts?"

"No, sorry Aunt May," Peter said, genuinely apologizing, knowing how worried she can be.

"How have you guys been?" she asked, putting her things down and grabbing a cookie.

"Good, how about you?" Riley asked her.

"I'm doing okay, thank you for asking," Aunt May said smiling. "Mmm, these cookies are delicious! You should bake more often. Well, I'm gonna go my room for a moment to get changed and I'll be back in second."

5 minutes later, May called Peter in her room. When he walked in, she asked him, "Did anything happen yet?"

"What do you mean?" Peter asked, confused.

"You know, did you guys...do anything?" Aunt May asked, getting all excited. He never had a serious girlfriend or a girl that's a friend beside Anastasia before, so this was a big deal for her.

"No, no, no," Peter said, "But, she is waiting out there, alone, and I think one of us should be out there with her."

"Okay, okay,' Aunt May said, putting her hands up in defense. "But, I may or may not set up candles later on..."

"Aunt May!" Peter said embarrassed now. He walked out of her room, shaking his head. Sure, he wanted to kiss Riley, but Aunt May would make his crush more obvious than it already was. She turned her head around towards him and smiled. She was on the couch again and the TV was turned off. He guessed that she didn't want to deal with the reality of what was going on, which could be a good thing.

Peter sat down next to her and decided to ask her another question that had been on his mind lately. "You don't have to answer this if you don't want to but I heard you and Dean broke up. Is it true?" He tried to ask this in a way that didn't make it sound like he wanted to get in her pants.

"Yeah," Riley said, nodding.

"Are you okay?" Peter asked her, concerned a little.

"Everyone keeps asking me that. And I am. Honestly, kind of relieved. Like, I don't get it. Am I supposed to sobbing over this guy I "dated" for 5 days?" Riley asked, laughing a little. "I don't think so. I wouldn't call myself that much of a drama queen."

Peter laughed and a few seconds later Aunt May started lighting the candles. I guess she wasn't kidding, Peter thought. Peter hadn't turned the lights on since the light from the apartments had been enough to see but as it got darker, they could only see the light flame of the candles. Peter reached over and turned on the lamp, embarrassed and tried to lighten the mood. "Sorry, my Aunt May really like candles."

Riley smiled, "It's okay, I think it looks really nice here."

Peter smiled at her. Aunt May went back to her room and shut the door. Then, Riley thought of something. What if she found a way to let Peter know how much she cares? It was too soon for a kiss, at least that's what she thought.

Then, Riley grabbed the remote and turned on the TV again. Just as she turned it on Electra was in the sky shooting directly at her dad. Riley covered her mouth and she looked scared. Someone that perfect seemed like she couldn't even get scared. Peter took the remote and shut it off before she saw anything else. 

"He's going to be okay," Peter said, taking her hand, not realizing what he was doing. 

"How do you know that?" Riley said, putting her legs up to her chest.

"He's strong and brave and there's no way in hell he would ever leave you," Peter said, offering her a warm a smile. Riley smiled weakly back at him.