Chapter 21

His smile dropped. "Yeah, do you remember me?"

"I'm sorry," Riley said, struggling to remember, then shaking her head.

"Oh," he said, looking down.

"Well, I know you must be pretty special to me if you visit me every day. Are you my boyfriend or something?" she asked.

"No, no," Peter said. "I'm not. We're just friends. How did you know that I visited you?"

"Oh, I-I, um, my dad told me," Riley said, not wanting to tell the truth about her time in limbo. "So I guess Ned, Anastasia, Michelle? They're my friends too?"

Peter nodded. Then, two girls walked in the door. One of them was blonde and the other one had brown hair.

"Oh my gosh, Riley! You're awake!" the blonde said, smiling, giving her a shopping bag. "What's the nerd doing over here?"

"W-what?" Riley asked.

"I'm so happy you are back Riley, everyone misses you, especially Dean," the other one said.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I don't know who that is."

"Please tell me your lying," the blonde said. "Is she?" she said.

Peter shook his head. Then, the doctor walked in.

"Hi, Riley. I think we should have a minute alone. You guys can wait outside."

Her so-called friends left and the doctor said, "So, one of the side effects of your injury is memory loss. Apparently, it's more severe than we thought, but you know your dad, right?"

Riley nodded. "Is it permanent?"

"As far as we can tell, no. But, there is no telling when it could come back. It could be days, weeks, even a year. For now, since you don't really remember anyone we are going to allow only one visitor at a time," the doctor said.

"Okay," Riley sighed. That is honestly the best news she heard all day. Even having three people in the room with her at once was stressful.

When the doctor left, Alice walked in a few minutes later. Her entire attitude had changed. She seemed more sad now. "Hi, I'm Alice. I'm captain of the cheer squad at Midtown, which is also where you go to high school. My boyfriend is Dan and he is captain of the football team. I am the prettiest and most popular girl at Midtown and you are my right-hand-woman," she said.

"Okay. So, am I popular and pretty too? In high school standards?" Riley asked.

"Duh," Alice said. "You're rich, dated the quarterback and almost did it with him and all the guys are head over heels for you. But, I'm still one step ahead of you. I'm like your mentor."

"Wow," Riley said. She didn't understand how she became friends with this girl in the first place. "That's kind of a shocker considering the guy you called a nerd earlier was with me every day in the hospital."

"Well, if it's between you and me," Alice said. "Parker is a nerd. But, he's totally in love with you. He practically drools every time he sees you. But, if it was my choice, I would totally date Dean."

"Who is he again?" Riley asked. "Dean, I mean."

"The quarterback."

After she left along with Liz, Peter came back in.

"Hi," Peter said, sitting in a chair next to her. "I'm sorry about earlier, I just wasn't expecting you to forget."

"It's okay, I kind of wasn't expecting it either," Riley said, laughing a little bit. "Not to sound like a total idiot but, who are you again?"