Chapter 11

After the sun had finally set, they climbed down the staircase. It was getting even colder now that the sun had set and since they were pretty high up, Riley had high intentions of getting inside and warm. Once they climbed inside, she shivered. "Do you have a blanket by any chance? I'm sorry, I feel weird asking."

Peter looked over at her, now is the time he should give her his jacket. "I can grab one of my hoodies from my room if you want. It's probably more comfortable anyway," he says, nervously. 

"That would be great, thank you so much," Riley says, smiling at him. As Peter walked to his room, he was smiling. He went in his room which was a mess, thank God they wouldn't be going in there tonight. He picked his most comfortable sweatshirt, the decathlon one from last year. He smelled it before going back out to make sure it wasn't one of the ones he wore after going on a mission. Luckily, it wasn't. When he walked out, she was just standing around awkwardly. 

"Here you go," Peter said, handing it to her.  When she put it on, luckily it was big on her, it would be embarrassing if he was the same size as her. When Riley put it on, she realized that this was probably what Peter smelled like. And she didn't mind it. It wasn't soaked in cologne, but it didn't smell bad either.

"Thanks," she said. "You're going to have to remind me to take this off later, you know."

"Gotcha, I won't forget," he says smiling at her. "Now what?"

"I'm not sure," she said. "We could study?"

"It doesn't hurt to study," Peter said, smiling. It wasn't typically his favorite thing to do, but unless he could think of something else...

"Yeah, but I'd honestly rather do something else."

"Like?" Peter replied.

"I have the Goonies on my laptop," Riley said, "I've seen it a million times, but it's a great movie."

"I haven't seen that movie in forever," Peter said, smiling. It really was a good movie. He remembered watching it with his parents when he was younger and it made him feel so happy. 

"Even better," Riley said, smiling. As Peter went to sit on the couch, Riley practically ran to get her computer and when she opened it up, Peter saw something he probably wasn't meant to see. It was an email from her dad with something labeled 'confidential.' Luckily, the document wasn't opened because that would be unfortunate. It didn't stop him wanting to know what it was though. She closed it before he could get a closer look. She opened up her movie player and sure enough, the Goonies was there.

When she clicked play, she crisscrossed her legs and rested her elbows on her legs. While the last thing she wanted was to fall asleep on Peter, she hasn't had a good sleep in a few days. I guess you could say she finally is a legit high school student. 

When they were about 20 minutes in, Riley started to get super tired. As her eyes were about to close, the door unlocked. Both Riley and Peter looked towards the door and it was opened and May was there. "Hey, Aunt May," Peter said, smiling at her. "How was your day?" 

Riley reached over and paused the movie. "It was okay, there was a serious car accident though and someone needed immediate surgery. It happens a lot, but the family was devastated. It's always hard to see a family go through something like that." 

Riley thought back to when her mother died in the car accident. It wasn't a hard thing to forget. Obviously, Riley remembers it clearly, she's always been able to. The memory played back in her mind. She was in the back seat, passenger side. The light had just turned green and her mom, hair in a braid, having just picked Riley up from school, was pulling out into the intersection.  The white Ford Explorer they were hit by was going 30 over the speed limit. Her mom should have died on impact, so should have Riley. However, when the ambulance came and got them out and on their way to the hospital, Riley's mom never made it. Riley had been in a coma for two days, having a severe concussion and a broken arm. She remembered waking up and Tony hugging her, sobbing, careful not to hurt her even more.