Chapter Three

"If I pray, who will hear? I am drowning in their cheer"

Chapter Three

13-year-old Human Belle - Time Period

My arms wrapped around my legs as I buried my head in them to hide the tears that were falling. A thin blanket was wrapped around my shoulders, covering me and any visible marks that had been made.

Laughter sounded outside before it filled the hut and surrounded me. My siblings have returned for the night meaning that mother and Finn would be back soon as well. Father would continue to do what he believed would get rid of me from this family.

"Where mother?" Rebekah asked.

"She and Finn went to get some plants," Father answered.

A hand fall on my shoulder, giving it a squeeze. I attempted to stop my self from flinching from the touch.

"Come on, Arabelle." Elijah's voice came from above me.

"Aw, leave her alone brother." Klaus jumped in.

Arms wrapped around me as my body stiffened, and pain exploded. "So this is where you were hiding!" Henrik shouted, his hold on me tightening.

"Get off, Henrik." I snapped, not looking up.

Henrik laughed, pulling back from me and taking a seat next to me. "You should've seen Klaus today." He attempted to pull the blanket off to get my attention. "Come on, Belle." He pleaded.

"Henrik!" I snapped, slowly raising my head up to glare at him. "Just leave me alone."

He stared at me, confusion filling his eyes. "Have you been crying?" He asked. "Did Brother Finn make you cry?"

I chuckled, shaking my head. "No." I whispered, looking to see that the rest of the family was busy and wasn't paying attention to the two of us. "Come here." I mumbled, wrapping an arm around him and pulling him into me.

He lend into me, letting me take comfort in him. Henrik might be the youngest but he was still a bright child. He somehow knew when I was in pain and needed comforting.

"Come you two." Elijah said, once again. "Get off the floor so we don't trip over you."

I didn't want to move. I didn't want to get up.

"Arabella." Klaus sang. "I'm sure whatever our brother Finn did to upset is all but nothing. It seems that Elijah isn't very patient right now. Might be because I won."

I glanced up, to see Klaus standing above me and Henrik with a hand out for me to grab. I knew if I grabbed it I would have to leave the blanket. Sooner or later everyone would know what happened and that it wasn't Finn that caused me to cry.

Should I reach out and grab his hand? Should I just get everything off my chest at that moment?

Punishment was sure to be ahead of me.

"Arabella." My fathers voice cut through the air like a knife.

I flinched, scurrying to my feet with a confused Henrik getting pulled up with me. The blanket fall from my shoulders as my eyes locked with Klaus's. A gasp escaped from my sister as she stood to the side, having been ready to cox me off the floor next.

"What happened?" Henrik asked.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a second to hide the pain that I felt. To hide the fear that father installed in me. To hide the sorrow at what my future could possible hold.

"You think Klaus and Elijah are the only ones who have fun?" I asked, a forced smile playing on my lips as I looked at our youngest sibling. "Why you should've seen this bear! It was bigger then this house and I was alone!"

The told the story as if it really happened. watching as Henriks eyes widen with astonishment. I patted his head as the story came to an end, watching as he pouted that I wouldn't tell him where this took place.

I looked up from him and saw father watching us before he turned and left. It seems that he had business to take care of.

Finn entered a few moments after father left. A shocked and pained looked appeared on his face as he caught sight of me. Klaus and Elijah were off to the side, neither one speaking or demanding the truth.

Though I fear that it would only be Klaus who really cared.

Rebekah cleaned any open wounds that I had. I winced each time she started on a new one but tried to ignore the pain.

"Where was Brother Finn?" Henrik asked, not seeing Finn had returned. "I thought you two were suppose to be fishing?" He wondered.

I couldn't say that Finn had left me to face the beast alone. Well, not completely at least.

"Ya, Brother Finn, where were you when the giant bear attacked your poor defenseless sister?" I asked, not looking away from him. "We were suppose to be fishing together after all."

Henrik turned, waiting for Finns reason.

"I was with mother." He said, moving farther in.

"Oh, doing what? I know mother hadn't left until after I came back." I poked, waiting for him to see that this was a trap that I wanted him to fall in.

Why had he left me when I needed him?

Wasn't he supposed to care about me?

Weren't we close?

Didn't he love me?

"Why weren't you there?" My voice cracked as I questioned him.

"I'm sorry."

Did he really feel sorry for leaving me when I called out to him?

He had promised that it was going to be okay.

"You promised."

He nodded, looking down. "I know."

"Let's go get you changed. You're a complete mess." Rebekah wrapped an arm around me and pulled me deeper into our home.

I glanced over my shoulder to see that Finn still watched us with a pained look. If he was sorry then why hadn't he stood up for me? Why had he gone with mother when it was clear that something was happening?

Was I just a fool to believe that he cared for me even a little?