Chapter Twenty-Three

The day before the real fight came all to quickly. The sun shined down as I meet with Edward like he asked, Leah agreeing to come incase I decided to kill the male. After what happened and me killing the hunter Sam decided that I was a bigger danger than he first thought but still wasn't given the permission he needed to kill me.

Bella was doing her part in all of this and was leaving her scent all over the forest with the help of Jasper and Jacob. Giving Edward the time he needed to talk to me about whatever it was he wanted.

Staring at him I could tell that it was something serious.

"Must she be here?" Edward asked, casting a look to Leah.

"Sam feels I'll go on a killing spree if someone isn't." I said, shrugging at him. "Should've told him if you wanted to talk in private."

Edward pushed his lips together.

"It would be better if a certain person doesn't hear what I had to say." Edward said, glancing once more at Leah. "It won't take more than a few minutes."

I rolled my eyes before looking at the female wolf.

"Fine." I said, agreeing to it. "I'll deal with Sam." I said, directing it to Leah so she knew that I would take the blame. "And I won't be killing anyone today. I gotta save my strength for tomorrow."

Nodding, Leah sent us a look before disappearing.

Edward seemed to relax slightly now that she was gone. "Thanks." He said, looking back to me.

"Just hurry up." I snapped, crossing my arms to hide the pain I still felt.

Did our kiss mean nothing to him?

"I'm engaged to Bella." He said, getting straight to the point.

I froze, body tensing as I stared at him in surprised. Pain ripped through me as I continued to stare at him.

I knew he wasn't joking.

"Is that all?" I asked, feeling as my heart broke because of the vampire in front of me. "Is that all!" I demanded, my voice raising slightly.

Edward nodded.

I grimace, shaking my head.

"I'll see you and Bella later tonight." I said, taking a deep breath and a false smile forming. "Don't worry, Eddie, whatever you think I feel won't be a bother anymore."

Edward once again with a look of unsureness on his face.

"We'll see you later tonight." He said, a look of what looked to be guilt appearing before he disappeared appeared.

I waited until I couldn't hear the faint sound of his steps before falling to my knees. My heart crushing completely now that I was alone. The pain I felt resurfacing as I realized that it would always be the human he picked.

He would always pick Bella.

A low whimper caught my attention, causing me to look up. Lean sat in front of me, her eyes filled with confusion and worry.

Who knew that Leah would come to care about a vampire, huh.