Path

I don't know how long Alexander held me or I him. I just knew that I felt safe in his arms. At least he'd stop talking about taking my blood and having me swear allegiance to him. Had that been just an excuse to stick around or had he actually meant that. Even though I would never tell him, I was glad he was here but I knew that it couldn't last. I lifted my head from his shoulder.

"What are you going to do about the arrest warrant?" I asked him. "If - if Mic-"

"Don't worry about that," Alexander said interrupting. "I'll have someone look into it."

"It's not that easy."

Alexander placed his hand on my head. "Rin, don't worry about it. I'll have this handled. The Royal family has been through worse scandals than this one."

"This is the first time there is a warrant out for your arrest," I reminded him. "Has your father said anything? Surely he must have."

Alexander didn't meet my eyes. "He isn't involved. The only words I got were 'you handle it' and that's what I plan to do."

I stomach tightened. I remembered being happy that the Prince wouldn't hide behind his father anymore but now, a pit of dread formed in my stomach. It would seem the King was serious about not protecting his son anymore. What had I done?

Feeling weak, I pressed my forehead against his shoulder. If I asked how he was going to handle it, he'd tell me not to worry about it.

"Th-then what's the plan?" I asked. "I know I have no proof of M-Micah's involvement but I really think he's involved."

Alexander patted my head. "Rin, you don't have to do anything. Let me handle it. Just go to school like you normally do. Keep a low profile."

"You make it sound so easy," I grumbled.

Even if I wanted to say anything else, Alexander would just wave it away. How could he think that I wouldn't worry? If it wasn't for me, none of this would have happened. I had to fix this somehow. If only Alexander would take it seriously.

"It's getting late," Alexander suddenly said. "Get some rest."

Now that he mentioned it, I was feeling tired. I stifled a yawn. "Alright," I said, "what about you though?"

"What do you mean?" he asked. "I don't need to sleep."

"No, are you going to leave?"

Alexander looked down at me with a smirk. "Do you want me to stay?"

I leaned back feeling my cheeks warmed. Why did it always have to be like this? "N-no," I stammered out, "but if you want to stay, I'm not going to stop you."

The grin was back. "So kitten or no?"

I pushed him away. "Do what you want."

Grumbling, I crawled into bed and wrapped myself up like a burrito. He wasn't going to crawl underneath the cover with me. That would show him. Soft laughter filled the room. Something soft snuggled up beside my head.

Hey, let me in.

"Go away."

Is that what you want?

I bit my lip. "Do what you want," I grumbled again.

I'm trying but you don't let me.

My heart lurched. He sure had a way with words. Sighing, I raised some of the covers and Alexander squeezed through. The small ball of white fur snuggled up next to me.

Now, was that hard?

I didn't say anything. Instead, I grabbed one of his ears and rubbed it between my fingers. I had to give it to him, he had really nice fur. Alexander turned on his back, exposing his belly. I guess that was an invitation. Before he could say anything, I scratched his belly. He . . . started purring.